Penn 113HN drag

Started by cj6530, April 26, 2015, 02:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj6530

Hi,

Using the tutorial on this forum.....I tried to "service" a new to me,  early model (1st year) Baja special.  I was trying to trouble shoot the fact that the drags wouldn't back all the way off.  Putting in back together I noticed that the handle nut tension is a factor in the lowest drag setting.  Basically there is play between the handle and the star drag when you tighten the drag.  I guess this would get annoying so maybe the previous owner set the drags "high" so there would be less handle wobble/play as he further tightened/increased the star drag.   All my other Penn reels (Fathoms) have some sort of washer between the handle and the star preventing any play.   What do I do? is this play/wobble normal? Do you set the lowest drag at say 5LB for less play?  Thanks for any advice

Reel 224

I had the same situation with my penn Surfmaster 200 and added a bevel washer to keep tension between the star and handle. It solved my problem. I would wait for some more of the guys here to answer you question first, simply because there may be an other problem with the drag system...as you have described it. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Is the handle loose when you tighten the star?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

joel8080

Just checked my Baja and when the star is backed all the way out there is a little slop in the star when I get 1/2-3/4 of a turn on the star the slop is gone, but I also have a delrin washer on top of the stack.
Don't forget under the star you have the click ring retainer and spring are they in with the spring on top ?.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

cj6530

I checked it again. The cap (with screw) that goes over the handle nut has a little slop in it.  In short...the handle doesn't fit 100% tight to the gear sleeve.  My other Daiwa Sealines, and Penn Fathoms fit 100% tight as a comparison. Its not really noticeable when the star is turned to the lightest setting snug against the handle(The star prevents any flex/chatter from the handle).  As you then tighten the star (gap between handle and star), you get more flex/chatter.   Just checking if this is normal.  The normal part being a little chatter/looseness in the handle even with the cap screwed on tight?

joel8080

Question Do you have the update to the reel a 6th bearing part #55-012H it goes in before the Star and the indetent spring #10C-113hn and Spacing spring #09-113hn ?.
The up date should not affect the star from being sloppy but is the entire shaft sloppy/moving?, on my 2 when the star is up against the handle there is no slop I tighten the star and there is a little slop till I get between 1/2-3/4 of a turn then the slop is gone.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

cj6530

I don't have the updated version.  I pulled the star and handle off again and checked the gear sleeve.  There is a little play in that.  I can pull/push maybe a millimeter or so.  Its not solid....but seems normal i guess.  Maybe I am over thinking it. 

joel8080

Your OK 1mm is fine side to side but not up & Down.

I think you best wait till the REEL Doctor's come on board.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California