shirts and head mask with UV protection or not

Started by steelfish, April 23, 2015, 02:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Thanx for the quick response. Very interesting concept, I may try soon.

Leo

steelfish

I got one hat similar to those you linked, where the shade/mask was integrated to the hat but it didnt worked for me, since they are integrated as one product by buttons or velcro I didnt feel as "free" as having one mask and hat separately. hard to explain, tho.
with two separated products If I feel my head warm or sweaty I just take the hat off get some fresh air and continue few minutes fishing with no hat until wearing in again, dealing with clips, buttons, velcro put me out from this concept.. but it was bit different than those you linked, props if they work for you

The Baja Guy

swill88

Another benefit of a face gator is protection from the wind.
Dried out skin and then sun splashed is a bad combination.
I don't leave the dock without one.

Tightlines667

When I spent sunrise to sunset on a small islet in a remote atoll for 4 summers, I quickly learned to appreciate using protective clothing, and sunscreen, and I don't have a high propensity to burn.  Back then (2002-2006), I used Columbia long pants, long sleeve shirts, gator, and hat.  Others used the gloves as well.  Maui Jim sunglasses for looking at stuff above the water, Costas for looking through the water.  I spent over 7,000 hours watching shark behaviour in shallow water, and the Costas were great.  We took sharks using a bow, long-handled (14') custom harpoon, and yaking baits out with spectra handlines/rope/bouy systems.  I'm a believer in quality sunprotective clothing, and eyewear when on or near the water in low lattitudes.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dave Bentley

Hi, this is a subject very near to my heart.

I'm up number 61 skin cancer removed with burning, scalpel and radiation including 5 melanomas.

Also lost my 58 year old sister 4 years ago with Melanoma.

I use Buffs, SP50 rated shirts, shorts and trousers, replaced every 12 months because of this subject title, fingerless gloves and a broad brimmed hat.

But, I was also told by my Surgeon that the sun damage has already happened by the time you are 5 years old, and being bought of in inland western Australia in the 50/60 when it was uncool to wear a hat I guess I know what my fate lies.

Please cover up.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

MFB

Straw hat, polaroid's & lots of sunblock. I heard stories of guys fishing in singlet's on alloy boats & getting sunburnt armpits from the reflection from the floor sounds nasty.

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Slazmo

Quote from: MFB on April 24, 2015, 05:58:04 AMI heard stories of guys fishing in singlet's on alloy boats & getting sunburnt armpits from the reflection from the floor sounds nasty.

Thats why I am adding some black tint to my white epoxy based paint when I paint the interior of my boat.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dave Bentley on April 24, 2015, 05:32:34 AM
Hi, this is a subject very near to my heart.

I'm up number 61 skin cancer removed with burning, scalpel and radiation including 5 melanomas.

Also lost my 58 year old sister 4 years ago with Melanoma.

I use Buffs, SP50 rated shirts, shorts and trousers, replaced every 12 months because of this subject title, fingerless gloves and a broad brimmed hat.

But, I was also told by my Surgeon that the sun damage has already happened by the time you are 5 years old, and being bought of in inland western Australia in the 50/60 when it was uncool to wear a hat I guess I know what my fate lies.

Please cover up.

You have brought up some great points Dave, when you spoke of your youth. In the 40s and 50s when I was young and always at the beach in summer as my father had a Gas station & auto repair one block from the ocean. Hats and special clothing didn't exist and suntan lotion was minimal at best. Being Italian we thought the darker tan was just our nature and touted it. I'm now 69 years old and I have been extremely fortunate not to have any skin Cancer as of now, but I am doing everything I can to prevent to much exposure to sun now and this thread definitely brought it into light even more.         
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

I live at a high elevation and people burn easy here.  I limit my exposure until I get a base tan and then don't worry about it and a hat keeps my face shaded....a straw hat in the summer.   Did not have to worry about sun exposure in SE Alaska.

I do not like exposing my self to chemicals like sun block, UV blocking clothes is a better idea.

BTW, I'm a cancer survivor but not skin cancer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TomT

Good informative post. 
As an old fair-skinned gringo who spends 4+- months a year in Baja, sun protection is important to me.  I also have spent my time with dermatologists to remove skin lesions caused by the sun.  I have found that almost any clothing gives pretty good protection. I use a strong sun screen lotion on any exposed skin.  That being said I have recently purchased some of the sun-block shirts from Cabela's and plan to use them on all fishing days on my next trip to Baja.  My problem seems to be with the hat.  I don't have much hair and wear a hat all the time I am in the sun.  I also sweat a LOT on the head so I have been wearing a wide-brimmed hat, but one with a solid top but with a ring of screen so the head can breathe... Due to reflections I get a sun burn on top of my head even though I am wearing the hat that has the solid top.
When not fishing I do not have the problem with burning the top of my head.  The logical solution would be (on fishing days) to use sun block on top of the head too.  That advice might work with a "young person" but with an old gringo, I just don't remember!! ;D   I see the pictures of the hats you are recommending, but do the little vents on the side give adequate ventilation??

By the way, I have always been told that the sun reflections that are burning you in these situations are coming from the reflection from the water.  Seemed to make sense to me.
TomT

newfuturevintage

Hi Tom--

In your situation, what I'd do would be to wear a solid hat that you can soak in some water to cool down my melon.  The first hat I posted wouldn't have enough ventilation for you; the second would, but would still burn you through the mesh on the sides.

Hope that helps,

Ron

LTM

In regards to eye protection,

A friend of mine works closely with the eye doctors at the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA. Shortly after working there I noticed her wearing sun glasses and asked whats up with the sun glasses. They were very nice prescription sun glasses. I wear prescription glasses with the works (UV, photo gray w/polarization,etc.). She stated the talks w/doctors and findings in their reports stress protecting the eyes from ALL UV rays which are very damaging.

Leo

steelfish

that's what I still need, some nice polarized & UV protected sun glasses, I use el cheapo $30 bucks fishing polarized sunglasses that works really good, nothing close to those Costa del mar, serengetti, etc
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

This is how I fish and beach, friends give me a hard time but like many of you, it seems, skin cancer runs through our family.  My dad gets spots removed every year...but he sunbathed with Iodine and baby oil... ::)

Don't mind the absolute HUGENESS OF THIS RARE SPECIES...haha. 

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bluefish69

Watch that you don't get your 6 locked up in NY with that mask.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.