Latest addition

Started by Jerseymic, April 21, 2015, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Mike,

I have to say your restoration is amazing. It is unusual to see a Penn reel polished to such a high degree. That said, I will try to date the reel to the best of my ability. The fact that there are no parts numbers anywhere puts the reel in the 1951 or earlier category. There are many tells, the marks on the free spool lever are very early, the unmarked stand is early but there is my feeling that the handle is about a 1949 or 50 handle. The color of the knob, but mostly the laminated counterweight is the true giveaway. I believe that the laminated counter weight did not exist before WW II. The mottled spool may cause me to favor the earlier estimate of late 1940's rather than 1950 but I am almost positive it is post war.

It certainly is a beautiful example of the 160.

That polishing machine is the best. Makes me want to throw mine away......................... :(

Jerseymic

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 29, 2015, 05:07:06 AM
Mike,

I have to say your restoration is amazing. It is unusual to see a Penn reel polished to such a high degree. That said, I will try to date the reel to the best of my ability. The fact that there are no parts numbers anywhere puts the reel in the 1951 or earlier category. There are many tells, the marks on the free spool lever are very early, the unmarked stand is early but there is my feeling that the handle is about a 1949 or 50 handle. The color of the knob, but mostly the laminated counterweight is the true giveaway. I believe that the laminated counter weight did not exist before WW II. The mottled spool may cause me to favor the earlier estimate of late 1940's rather than 1950 but I am almost positive it is post war.

It certainly is a beautiful example of the 160.

That polishing machine is the best. Makes me want to throw mine away......................... :(

Wonderful Mike, thank you for the date, I am pleased the way it polished up for the age.

I was amazed to find something so old in the U.K. normally reels that turn up here are a lot later.

Yes the machine seems to work well, I just take my time, being careful not to overheat the plates, saves my crippled fingers!!
although it polishes my fingernails well ;D

Thank you again,

Mike.

Penn Chronology

You are Welcome, Always a Pleasure!

Jerseymic