PENN 420SS

Started by Alto Mare, April 26, 2015, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Chuck750ss on November 18, 2017, 10:07:48 PM
Does not spin quite as easy as the Shimano's, but not a big difference either.

I've been having good luck getting an easier spin by lightening my grease on these spinning reels. Ardent Reel Butter works great on these smaller models. I've been even thinning it with different oils. Kinda cool how soft you can make it and it still sticks to the gear teeth. I can't wait to score one of these 420s...it's the final boss of light spinning.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 18, 2017, 10:19:02 PM
I was reading and was ready to make you an offer, but that last part of your answer got me ::) :).
Ha! Sal, wish I had "discovered " these old Penn Reels years ago. But never gave a thought to buying saltwater reels. Besides the 420, now own a 705(wife likes rh crank) two 750ss and a 710(710 just for show. Starting a "Greenie" collection). And since I have your attention, going to be shopping for a reel to chunk jigs or whatever else artificial baits one uses surf fishing. And do double duty for bass at home. Looking at 440ss,450ss and 550ss. (Have a thread for this somewhere on this site) Your thoughts please. Or any other spinning reels similar to these that you deem good.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: mo65 on November 18, 2017, 10:31:05 PM
Quote from: Chuck750ss on November 18, 2017, 10:07:48 PM
Does not spin quite as easy as the Shimano's, but not a big difference either.

I've been having good luck getting an easier spin by lightening my grease on these spinning reels. Ardent Reel Butter works great on these smaller models. I've been even thinning it with different oils. Kinda cool how soft you can make it and it still sticks to the gear teeth. I can't wait to score one of these 420s...it's the final boss of light spinning.8)
Thanks! I am actually thinning my grease with a synthetic bearing and gear oil. Different consistency for different parts of the reel. Both the grease and the oil never "leave" where it is applied. In case you are wondering, I work as a millwright in a paper mill and we use these lubricants at the mill. They stand up to some really severe service. No comparison to the old Dino lubricants we used for years. Literally night and day difference.

mo65

Quote from: Chuck750ss on November 18, 2017, 10:38:45 PM
  In case you are wondering, I work as a millwright in a paper mill and we use these lubricants at the mill. They stand up to some really severe service.

I worked in the paper industry too...die cutting and foil stamping many kinds of papers and boards. You learn a lot about lubes while keeping those presses running. Much of it I learned the hard way. The old guys would ride ya hard if ya burnt up a bearing by forgetting to oil the press. :D

Chuck750ss

Quote from: mo65 on November 18, 2017, 10:55:32 PM

Quote from: Chuck750ss on November 18, 2017, 10:38:45 PM
  In case you are wondering, I work as a millwright in a paper mill and we use these lubricants at the mill. They stand up to some really severe service.

I worked in the paper industry too...die cutting and foil stamping many kinds of papers and boards. You learn a lot about lubes while keeping those presses running. Much of it I learned the hard way. The old guys would ride ya hard if ya burnt up a bearing by forgetting to oil the press. :D

I AM one of the old guys! :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Chuck750ss on November 18, 2017, 10:31:58 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 18, 2017, 10:19:02 PM
I was reading and was ready to make you an offer, but that last part of your answer got me ::) :).
Ha! Sal, wish I had "discovered " these old Penn Reels years ago. But never gave a thought to buying saltwater reels. Besides the 420, now own a 705(wife likes rh crank) two 750ss and a 710(710 just for show. Starting a "Greenie" collection). And since I have your attention, going to be shopping for a reel to chunk jigs or whatever else artificial baits one uses surf fishing. And do double duty for bass at home. Looking at 440ss,450ss and 550ss. (Have a thread for this somewhere on this site) Your thoughts please. Or any other spinning reels similar to these that you deem good.
For jigging, all 3 mentioned would do a good job, but personally I would choose the 550ss. A little heavier but  definitely a better reel.
Here is the problem though, you will have a hard time finding one, the other two should be easier. I probably purchased all at some point...just kidding ;D
For the surf, I don't use anything smaller than the 650SS, which is one of my favorite. Mine has some custom parts in it, but a stock 650SS will do just fine and that's the one with one 0.
Maybe replace the teflon washer in the stack with a HT100, a better drag knob and that's about it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Chuck750ss

Thanks again Sal. I have looked at new reels from Penn, Daiwa and Shimano. And the more I look, the more confused I become.(200$ and under market) One will claim the Clash is great and someone else will claim it is complete junk. Same for the Shimano and Daiwa. AND if I spend 100-200$ on a reel I expect a reliable reel. Without having to be sent back. And with reasonable care I would expect that reel to last. Maybe I expect too much! Which leads me back to the single "0" Penns. Maybe not super smooth. May not cast quite as far as one of the new reels. But they are beyond a doubt, well built.
BTW, who makes better drag knobs for the Penns? That plastic knob does seem to be a weak point.

Alto Mare

Chuck, your assessment on the older Penn spinners is spot on, not the smoothest reel, but pretty consinstant.
Any of those will feel the same from the first day until the end of the season.
Can't say the same for the newer stuff.

Here is the newer knob for the 650SS, this one comes with a seal as well:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52N-650N.aspx

Best.

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

I have a question concerning the gears on this little guy. Actually, I have a 430, but it uses the same gears. The main is trashed...has a big flat spot...but I think the pinion is OK. I'd think since it is steel, and the main is brass, the main would take all the abuse. My question is should I replace both, or is that pinion fine? 8)

Midway Tommy

From my experience if you get one new both should be new so they wear and mesh together at the same rate. One new gear, for me, generally means some roughness and noise for awhile.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

From the looks of that gear, that little guy has been abused. :-\
It is always a good practice to replace both gears ... pinion and main gear, but on this particular reel, I would just replace the main gear.
Check is the gear shaft feels loose on the bushing.

alantani

yup, always replace them as a set!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

My two cents would be. Chang both if it was mine or a customers either way.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

It's kinda odd...you look at that gear and you'd think this reel is hit. That gear is the only casualty though. The pinion bushings are tight, the rotor too, the bearing cleaned up very well also. I agree that generally both main and pinion should be changed, but this pinion is hard to even scratch. Here it is all cleaned up, and below it the Scott's stock photo. I'll think it over a bit more. 8)

Reel 224

The stock pinion looks as if the cut on the start of the shaft is a little rough. I would personally look at that and if it needs some filing to make a smooth running with the main.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."