Penn Fathom 25NLD2...Found Extra Washer Not Listed on Schematics

Started by sundaytrucka, April 30, 2015, 07:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

So I took apart my Fathom 25NLD2, more than a few times, due to an instance where I found this washer that fell out of the spool area, I honestly did not see where it came from when it did fall out. So I went to my schematics that came with the reel, could not find any part number or part on the diagram that even remotely came close to the area where the washer fell out. (I believe it was originally under the spool bearing, in-between the bearing and the spool itself, but there was only one, not on both sides.)

So I took the reel apart multiple times trying to figure out what functionally made sense,  trial and error with using it in different areas, no noticeable difference(s) in any way I configured the washer around the spool, left side, right side, above the bearing, below the bearing, in the Belleville configuration...felt and performed the same as when first purchased.

I was getting 25 seconds of freespool out of the box, lubed with TSI and only got a 3 second increase...I mention this due to when I removed the washer completely, being it was not listed on the schematic, I easily got over 1 minute of free spool, along with the spool having faster startup and spinning faster throughout freespool ; the only thing I noticed was the spool had some additional left to right movement when the reel was tilted accordingly, still, the movement did not affect the new freespool increase.

I believe the washer in question was used to clean up some slop in the spool assembly(?), otherwise accidently installed, but hurt overall freespool performance...I decided to leave it out.

Just a weird situation, racking my brain for a few days. I checked out John's tutorial on the 15NLD2,  but did not see a similar washer their either. Just wanted to put this out there. Pic of the washer is below.

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

sundaytrucka

The 154B part # in the schematic is not the same as this washer, I assumed the same when I looked it over, and compared them, but both 154B washers are present between the Belleville washers, and the 154B washers are much smaller compared to the washer in question.

johndtuttle

Yea, its a spool shim, probably from the right side either over or under the bearing on the right side.

I hate shims too because they are so thin they stick to stuff and you don't notice them until they fall out and you are left wondering where they came from....

When the reel is assembled they are added to areas that are expected to have certain tolerances in play and are added at the discretion of the assembly tech. No telling where they will show up.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 04, 2015, 01:59:38 PM
Yea, its a spool shim, probably from the right side either over or under the bearing on the right side.

I hate shims too because they are so thin they stick to stuff and you don't notice them until they fall out and you are left wondering where they came from....

When the reel is assembled they are added to areas that are expected to have certain tolerances in play and are added at the discretion of the assembly tech. No telling where they will show up.

Thank you for the reply John, I respect your opinion and find it valid in this situation. This is the first reel I have serviced, in my limited experience, where there was a part present was not listed in the schematic. Confused and worried me for a bit, but trial and error works for me.