113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

A smaller version of the baja special?  A factory 112HN would be super!
Central Florida

maxpowers

That would be sweet but the narrowed 112H mini tank with the insert is probably more robust.  I can't wait until Lee is able to start cutting the inserts for the 112H and 113H again.  I may even add them too my Newells to really take them to the next level.

Topshot

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on January 27, 2014, 11:33:37 AM
I recently picked up the 113hn baja special . It looks like penn has a winner with this reel. stainless steel parts, double dogs .,alum.frame, well greased inside and fells nice and smooth when cranking.The only thing I'm going to change on mine is the crank handle the dealer told me penn might be making smaller versions of this reel in the near future. Also go to penns web site and download the coupon for a free water proof backpack
What where?? I want a free waterproof backpack
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

TomT

My understanding is that if you have a recent purchase of a new Baja 113hn, you can fill out a coupon on Penn's site to receive the bag.
TomT

RUSTY OLD COLT

Go to the Penn web site ,click on products ,then promotions and download the form .Its for any reel and products totaling $199.95

angleronfoot

Anyone know where to find a left hand conversion kit for this reel?

floating doc

I took my 113HN apart to grease the drag, and get a coating of grease on all of bare inner surfaces. I can't get the eccentric springs back in without them riding underneath the eccentric.  :P 

Central Florida

handi2

Scott's has them on sale right now for Memorial Day..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

p-deverett

I pulled my baja special apart for the pre use service, however I can't get the drag to back off enough, I have about 5+lbs of  drag with the star backed all the way off. I have dissasembled the reel several times now and get the same result. I have made sure the drag washers are well seated in the gear. The sleeve is all the way down and the anti reverse gear seems to be slightly concave on the bottom but it only goes the one way for the dogs to work. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
Peter

johndtuttle

Quote from: p-deverett on May 24, 2014, 11:16:26 PM
I pulled my baja special apart for the pre use service, however I can't get the drag to back off enough, I have about 5+lbs of  drag with the star backed all the way off. I have dissasembled the reel several times now and get the same result. I have made sure the drag washers are well seated in the gear. The sleeve is all the way down and the anti reverse gear seems to be slightly concave on the bottom but it only goes the one way for the dogs to work. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
Peter

Did you replace the under gear Fiber Washer (4) with a thicker one?  Did you heavily grease the drag washers?

If you used a lot of grease you just tighten down the drag all the way to squeeze out excess then it should be fine. With a thicker washer under the gear sometimes it needs sanding down. You can also remove one of the belleville spring washers if you have to and it should not affect function.

p-deverett

Thanks John, I did grease the drags but haven't replaced the under gear washer. Its currently not spooled yet so I can't give the drag a good workout. I'll probably remove one of the spring washes until the drag has seated.

Thanks
Peter

johndtuttle

Quote from: p-deverett on May 25, 2014, 12:12:29 AM
Thanks John, I did grease the drags but haven't replaced the under gear washer. Its currently not spooled yet so I can't give the drag a good workout. I'll probably remove one of the spring washes until the drag has seated.

Thanks
Peter

That may do it. Be sure to let us know how it turns out. we hate mysteries like this :D.

handi2

Quote from: p-deverett on May 24, 2014, 11:16:26 PM
Thanks
Peter

I dealt with the same thing until a new in the box Baja Special came in. The 2 outer Bellville washers had to both face down as seen in the new reels I opened.

Faced opposing or both up there was too much drag with star backed all the way out.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: floating doc on April 24, 2014, 03:36:13 AM
I took my 113HN apart to grease the drag, and get a coating of grease on all of bare inner surfaces. I can't get the eccentric springs back in without them riding underneath the eccentric.  :P 

I'm a little confused by your problem. Can you give us more info?

best

p-deverett

Handi2, Thanks for the advice on the spring washers, I turned them around so they are both facing the reel (( and now the drag backs off with the star all the way out. When they were like this () the drag didn't back off.
Now to spool the reel and fish it.

Thanks
Peter