The Jigmaster Project

Started by Rothmar2, April 30, 2015, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Wow! Very classy stuff. Reminds me of a squidder now. If you put two rings on the right plate, it would look like a 3/0 Senator.
best regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

coastal_dan

Thoroughly enjoying this build!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Jerseymic

It is a pleasure to see a master craftsman at work, stunning.

Rothmar2

Hi Everyone, bit of an update on this project.

I recently made a faceplate for my mini lathe while at work. The motivation was to allow for a little more scope for me to produce parts from home.

Jigmaster 501 (Eugene) had asked about a lug to be made for the left plate in which a lure could be attached to when the rod was racked. Having the faceplate allowed me to come up with something......

....a blank to shape the lug from. You can see from the machining pattern how I have used the faceplate and a dead centre to align the blank to turn down the little spigots which will locate in the left plate holes.

I also faceplate machined in the radius for the step on the left plate, and then rough shaped the lug

Some shots with rough shaped lug fitted

I will do final shaping and polishing when next away at work.
I will also be making a couple of ring sets for Eugene as well while away.

At risk of sounding a bit selfish, after I have done these parts, I won't be taking orders for making any more for a while. I don't have enough spare time to devote to making them for others. I haven't made enough progress on my own Jiggy lately to feel like it will be ready for next season. The only person I will be working with/for will be Mike (mhc) who has helped me out in a huge way behind the scenes.

I have also made a start on the SS ratchets. The SS shifter on the left, and original on the right

I am going the E-clip route with these. You can see with the ratchet blank I have machined a couple of recesses the thickness of the E-clip into the stock. This should prevent any rubbing of the new arrangement against the side of the spool. It will be clear what and why  I have done this when I have all the parts ready for assembly. Should have something to show again in a few days time.
I have also increased the size of the shifter knob, as the original is a bit fiddly to get a decent push/pull against.
The first few of these will be going to Mike, I'll then make one for the left plate of my JM which will need to be larger again due to the extra ring on the left plate.

More to come soon.

redsetta

It's like magic  ;)
Looking forward to the next instalment!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Rothmar2

Got the ratchets done over the last couple of days. These ones will be going to Mike which will drop straight into any Jigmaster. I'll show the one to suit the extra ring when I get it done.

Couple of hours filing to get the shape.

Then machine some delrin washers to slip in under the ratchet to reduce wear on the plate. Turn down 12mm stock to 10.5mm. Centre drill stock, and drill bore 5mm. I made a parting off tool to hold a broken hack-saw blade to cut the washers. The thin blade greatly reduces wastage.

I made a few of varying thickness to get a good fit with minimal slop of the ratchet. The E-clip is part no. 69B-600.

And all together

Looking from outside, all polished up. This shifter is about 1.5mm taller than stock. Bit easier to get a decent purchase on it.

Nothing magic here Justin, just getting in and having a go.

Thanks for everyone's kind words.

mhc

Looks good Chris, this project keeps getting better.

Quote from: redsetta on August 07, 2015, 07:15:37 AM
It's like magic  ;)

I'm with Redsetta on this one, there is a difference between simply getting in and having a go and successfully turning (pun intended) your ideas into reality.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mhc on August 09, 2015, 11:55:03 AM
Looks good Chris, this project keeps getting better.

Quote from: redsetta on August 07, 2015, 07:15:37 AM
It's like magic  ;)

I'm with Redsetta on this one, there is a difference between simply getting in and having a go and successfully turning (pun intended) your ideas into reality.
I agree!! This man has some serious talent, making your own parts is not the same as purchasing what you need.
Thanks for sharing your projects with us Chris, its very much appreciated. ;)
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNothing magic here Justin, just getting in and having a go.

It not about magic, it is about seeing something in your minds eye and then being willing to do what is needed to bring that dream image into the real world. You missed your calling Sir, you belong in the Penn Engineering Department designing prototypes!

mhc

And then all together on a 501 with SS rings, spacer bars and take apart thumb screw. Thanks Chris!
I tried putting the delrin washers Chis made under the ratchet and then under the shifter - under the shifter seemed to slide a bit smoother.

When assembled, the ratchet is firm and loud as I requested although it occasionally slipped out of engagement. I will need to gently and slowly put a steeper shoulder on the back half of the ratchet for the spring to grip. I'll wait until I get a suitable needle file for the job and not use my chainsaw sharpening file.

To remove the old clicker I simply drilled out the back where it is peened

My first attempt at removing the ratchet was memorable - I thought I had removed more than enough material with the drill but the clicker still wouldn't lift off. In an absent minded moment of madness, I put the plate on top of a vice and gave the ratchet shaft a light tap with a punch  :-[ - keep this to yourself, I don't want anyone to find out ;D.
I'm now in the market for a black left plate.

exp2000

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 10, 2015, 02:34:33 PM
beautiful work Chris! Nice job on the rings, that thumb screw looks amazing as well.

X2
~

Rothmar2

Mike, I'm so sorry you snapped that left plate.  :o I feel partly responsible.....
Will work something out when I get home in a few weeks.
With the ratchet, how was it disengaging? Was the shifter getting pushed back, or was the copper spring riding up and over the ratchet? The spring on my plate which I tested it on, is a little loose, and this happened a couple of times. I won't be looking for as much ratchet tension when I get around to doing mine, and as you have rightly pointed out, the shoulders are where I'll be carefully filing to adjust. I did similar on the 6/0 build, and also carefully notched the end of the copper spring.
I'm really gutted you snapped that plate but.....

Just had a close look and your pix Mike, I wonder if there isn't a very subtle difference in the copper spring diameters? If you look at the assembled photo I posted against yours, it appears as though your spring doesn't "reach" onto the ratchet as far as what my copper spring does. Could be just a photo angle/perspective thing though.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Thanks for checking Sal - the plate in the 2nd link looks good, I'll have a look to see if he has anything else I need to spread the shipping costs a bit. I have bought parts from him in the past and he has always been good to deal with.

Don't feel responsible Chris - it was entirely my fault. I had been off work with the flu for a few days and thought I was feeling better - went down stairs, broke the plate then went back to bed. I should have listened to my doctor when he said 'take it easy'   ;D ;D

The shifter is getting pushed back, not every time and not straight away so it shouldn't take much to hold it. I'll mark where the spring sits and take it from there.
The photo above is with the clicker in the disengaged position, here's one below with it pushed in. I'll measure the springs on the other black plate and a couple of red-brown ones I've got to see how consistent the diameter is.

Rothmar2

Mike, my bad with the pics and not picking the engage/disengaged position of the shifter.
Have you had a chance to modify the clicker further to stop it jumping out? They can be very touchy those, doesn't take a whole lot of metal removal to drastically change their characteristics.

On another note, have finished shaping Eugene's requested side lugs. Not completely consistant in shape, had a bit of a slip-up while turning the blanks on the mini-lathe, but still finished up with two workable pieces.

Just have to make some custom SS screws to suit and polish these parts up. Will put up an assembled photo later