Replacement tackle box handle...?

Started by Aiala, May 03, 2015, 02:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

I have a Butch Green wooden long-range tackle box which I love, it's similar to this:

Thing is, I would like to replace the handle assembly (it's exactly like this) and for the life of me I cannot find a source to buy one. Can any of you experts help me?

Thanks so much!

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

STRIPER LOU

Hi Aiala, Maybe came off a luggage piece?
Good luck with the hunt!
..............lou

Keta

Does it have to be the same or just close?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Aiala --

Show us some pics of yours -- showing what is broken and needing replacement.

Those old Butch Green long range boxes have a good handle -- but likely the source he got his from is no more.

They are very strong with the SS "U-Bar & pivot pins" -- but the plastic handle and knuckle guard are the weak points.

If you cannibalized another box, number one it would be a shame -- and number two, you would likely have the same issues with the replacement handle.

I might consider adapting a SS or brass handle to the U-Bar -- along with a wood knuckle guard underneath.

One could even install hypalon covering over the grip for added comfort -- or something similar.

Mr. Mayo may have an idea or two.

With an idea of what you would like to accomplish -- and what you would be willing to do -- along with some pics and your thoughts -- someone here can likely help.

Butch Green made some very good boxes for the Southern Cal trips.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Thanks for the quick replies, guys... much appreciated!   ;)

Fred, here is my handle:

I believe it is structurally sound, I'm mostly dealing with rust issues (I've cleaned it up as best I can) but the main thing is I am missing that knuckle guard. As it happens I do have another box to temporarily cannibalize (I bought it for my son-in-law) and I've taken the knuckle guard from that one. Still, if I could find somewhere to buy a few spare handles, I'd certainly go for it. In the meantime, though, I should be okay for the SOA trip.   :)

~A~

foakes

First thought, Aiala --

You have cleaned it up pretty good --

Might try the Dremel a little more with some fine wire brush -- then a little "0000" steel wool -- then a little patience and Never Dull while watching a mind numbing sitcom.

If it were mine -- since the handle seems intact...

A woodworker could make a piece for the knuckle guard out of a durable tropical wood that would resist moisture well. Then apply a marine spar type finish.

Then just epoxy or Gorilla glue the piece in place.

I would also go to a good hardware store to get some new SS screws, backup SS interior washers, and SS rounded locking acorn nuts or regular locking SS nuts.

Just some ideas.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Fred, those are excellent suggestions, as usual. Thank you!  :)

~A~

Rancanfish

I'm finding 'Ace is the Place' really is true when looking for special stainless hardware.

Home Depot, Lowes, OSH all have generic sizes and not much variety.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Aiala --

If this wood knuckle guard route is one you would like to try out -- no use paying for any wood.

I keep all of my scraps from various projects -- and do have some exotic tropical pieces that you are welcome to.

These include: Olive, Heart Rosewood, Cocobolo, Gonçalo Alves, and Kingwood.

4 out of 5 of these are very dense and heavy tropicals.  As such, they are very durable in moisture conditions, due to the denseness of their grain.  As a matter of fact, just a 11.5 X 3 X 7/8 piece of Cocobolo weighs over a pound and a quarter.

You may already have a local source, or may decide to go another route with the knuckle guard -- but if you want a piece or two of these -- you can have your choices -- just let me know and I will send them out.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.