What did my wife bring home?

Started by newfuturevintage, May 15, 2015, 08:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfuturevintage

Big telescoping fiberglass rods from a bygone era, is my best guess.  One of her friends is moving out of state and gave her a bunch of fishing stuff.  Among that stuff were these two curiosities, in remarkably good shape. 

ActionRod Extendo's, to be more accurate, a 12'er with a single tip-top, and a 16'er with a guide at each segment end + a line winder on the biggest segment.  Super noodly. 

What can you tell me 'bout 'em?

model numbers/ maker name

line winder with 'custom electrical tape' whipping

Guides on longer of the two:

Extended.  Each tile is about a foot square with a 3/8" grout line.

theswimmer

My Mom's spinning rod is an Action Rod with the price printed on the rod alongside the name .
I will take a pic and post when I get home.
I got nothing as far as model or maker.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

These old Extendos were manufactured in the 50's by Orchard Park Industries, in or near Hastings, Michigan.

They were advertised as the feel of bamboo, with the strength of fiberglass.

Do some research -- and be careful with them -- these can be worth some serious money ($100-$200).

There were various size models -- and some fly rods also.

More of a novelty than anything IMO -- however, since few have survived -- they can be valuable to a collector.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: foakes on May 16, 2015, 12:25:54 AM
These old Extendos were manufactured in the 50's by Orchard Park Industries, in or near Hastings, Michigan.

They were advertised as the feel of bamboo, with the strength of fiberglass.

Do some research -- and be careful with them -- these can be worth some serious money ($100-$200).

There were various size models -- and some fly rods also.

More of a novelty than anything IMO -- however, since few have survived -- they can be valuable to a collector.

Best,

Fred

Good to know, thanks, Fred!

Intended for use like cane poles?

newfuturevintage

Quote from: theswimmer on May 15, 2015, 11:54:22 PM
My Mom's spinning rod is an Action Rod with the price printed on the rod alongside the name .
I will take a pic and post when I get home.
I got nothing as far as model or maker.

In the same bunch of stuff was also a bamboo 2-piece nameless rod and a Roddy spinner with the price (List Price = $7.95!) printed on the blank.  Funny that that was something that used to be done.

foakes

Yes,

Most of these, except the fly rods, were intended to be used like cane poles -- hence the long length and noodle action.

It is important to remember some of the history of the 50's.  The war was over for a few years, Korea was winding down -- and many guys were back stateside -- buying houses, raising families, fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities they learned in the Service. 

And some were trying to invent the better mousetrap, and make their fortune before the next guy. 

So there were hundreds of companies like this -- with a niche that may have lasted 6 or 10 years -- but most of them have not survived -- since just because they had a good idea -- that was no guarantee of success.

It would take smart marketing, retail contracts, salespeople, promotions, advertising, manufacturing capabilities on a large scale to compete with the big boys.  A big investment.  Some knew how -- 97% did not know how to compete when the competition got rough -- and then there were hundreds of the same kind of products for a consumer to choose from. 

The ones that survived -- can be counted on two hands, with some fingers left over.

Lots of good ideas never survive -- it has a lot to do with the timing and being prepared for opportunities -- then being able to move up to the next levels -- and multiply success with retail partnerships.

Having a love for the craft -- seldom translates into business success.  The two must be sometimes brutally separated in order to prosper.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

What you say Fred is true of course, but it is a sad story because lots of very good products have been lost because of big business and mass production. Price has been the leading factor in this country any more, ahead of quality and craftsmanship, except for those of us that can appreciate it and have the desire to strive for the best.

I wonder what the next hundred years will bring? 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

newfuturevintage

Thanks for the insights, Fred!

These definitely have the feel of "somebody with a good idea made something".  They're very nicely built (the shorter one especially--it's ridiculously tight for something that's all fiberglass--no metal anywhere except the tip). 

Also seems like the era when larger folks were branching out to smaller markets, or smaller companies broadened their scope to larger markets.  True Temper making both rods and tools comes to mind, for instance.

Hard to believe how few of these Extendo's have been up on ebay in the past couple months of closed auctions.  Gonna keep an eye on those and then decide what to do with these.

Thanks again for the insights and wisdom!

Ron