Penn 704 - What do ya think

Started by Big Tim, May 05, 2015, 03:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

I took this in trade on some parts and would like to have some opinions. Never have I opened up a spinner before so I thought this would be a good start. Looks reel good overall, looks recently serviced. Came apart easily and appears to have a new SS clicker ? Not sure the drags are a complete CF or HT100 conversion. A small amount of grit, but smooth otherwise. I want to fish the surf and rock cod fishing as well. What is the drag specs with CF upgrade,ect...Can't go fishing for a bit so I thought a project on the cheap would keep me busy. Drainage holes on the rotor ?...What do ya think.

Big Tim

Marcq

Judging from its appearance I certainly wouldn't put holes in it, touch up, power handle/knob, bailless , it's a nice 704

I'm on a 704 project also

Marc..

bestout

The monsters in my head are scared......

Aiala

I've got one done, one in process. They are terrific reels! Simpler design than a Mitchell 402, too. Yours is a beaut. Have fun!   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Doug

Very nice shape In stock form you should get 12+ lbs of drag. Change the Teflon washer in the drag stack to cf and a delrin washer under the spool and you should get close to 15lbs. Sal and others have done some  changes similar to the 750ss and get around 20 lbs. I would just make the few simple changes first and fish the reel stock  and I think you will be pleased .

Big Tim

Quote from: Marcq on May 05, 2015, 03:22:30 AM
Judging from its appearance I certainly wouldn't put holes in it, touch up, power handle/knob, bailless , it's a nice 704

Marc..

Marc, is this what you are talking about ?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331384838681?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

handi2

Beautiful reel in great shape. Those are the ones I like to polish the internals for a mirror finish. It just looks cool. A long time ago I made Acrylic clear covers for those reels and used  a clear grease.

Super easy to work on and maintain. On of the downfalls of the 704 is no holes in the rotor cup for drainage. The 706 does have these holes. 6-60 drag washers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Quote from: Big Tim on May 06, 2015, 12:15:31 AM
Quote from: Marcq on May 05, 2015, 03:22:30 AM

Marc..

Marc, is this what you are talking about ?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331384838681?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes, what is your plan, like what kind of fishing

Marc..

Big Tim

Marc, the plan is to strip it down to bare metal. Bailless with a custom handle,drags, most likely some small drainage holes in the rotor, custom paint with some hydro graphics: https://www.mydipkit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=204&zenid=0b840e965785f2c992ac0a684d8c7527 ... Nothing major ... Just something very cool & fish it for rock cod, inshore and maybe the pier and surf.  ;D

Tim

Marcq

Big Tim

Alto Mare

Nice job Marc. I wonder if someone could make us clear side plates for these reels, it would look cool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 06, 2015, 01:26:33 AM
Nice job Marc. I wonder if someone could make us clear side plates for these reels, it would look cool.

Sal, since your'e here..The drags ?  CF only and get a bit over 15lb. ? I don't think you would need more than that on this reel.

Tim

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 06, 2015, 01:26:33 AM
It's not mine

Marc..

Alto Mare

I thought it was yours Marc, still, a nice reel.

Tim, these reels have caught many big fish here in the NE and they did it with stock drags, you will do just fine as you have it.
With that said, I personally would always increase the drag on those.
Here is the layout I like best

this one gave 33 lbs.
You don't need a Delrin on top as I'm showing, you could use another carbon fiber washer instead, I like it.
Keyed metal washers are .50mm from Bryan's kit, the octagon metal washers are stock from Scott's and the carbon fiber washers are .50mm.
All fits nicely and the reel is very smooth.

This will also make a good upgrade:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52N-750N.aspx
For the thrust washer, I use two .025" Delrin washers, one on top of the other to replace the teflon washer.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.