Navarre Florida

Started by Shark Hunter, May 08, 2015, 05:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

Good luck Daron! I'd probably do like John said, put a bait 2 to 300 yds out. I'd put one close in the first drop off. You would be surprised what swims close in sometimes.  :o  Shame on the shark that takes one of your baits, your gear is not going to fail. We need pics when you land one.    Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

newfuturevintage

Quote from: ChileRelleno on May 08, 2015, 11:18:40 PM
Quote from: newfuturevintage on May 08, 2015, 10:54:11 PM
Help out the mainly freshwater guy here...'sup with the bolt cutters?
If you can't easily remove the hook, you either cut the hook for easy removal or cut the leader as close to the hook as possible.
Speed is a necessity in getting sharks back into the water alive.
Measure length
Sex
Tag
Pic
Dehook and release

whoa.  Big hooks!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: newfuturevintage on May 09, 2015, 12:15:39 AM

whoa.  Big hooks!
I only use 16/0 & 20/0 for dedicated shark leaders.
This is a 20/0 hook, yeah, big hooks for big baits and big sharks.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Tightlines667

Thats not a big hook....
This is a big hook....
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

harryk3616

gotta get that bait in the dark blue water

ChileRelleno

Daron,
holler at me, I can come over and fish with ya tonight.
Just have to make it home for church in the AM.
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

I'll see ya in a couple hours John. I've been baitfishing every day with a 9500 and a big ugly stick loaded with 100lb braid and a 4 oz pyramid sinker. Pinfish, cut mullet and shrimp.
Life is Good!

Keta

Get back to fishing, I want to see some sharks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Good Luck Daron, Sure can't beat the scenery in your opening pic. I managed to whack a few mangos today and my wife did good on the vermilions.

Shark Hunter

John showed up this afternoon. I had some killer bait from Keith. Whole Blackfin Tuna! I also had some Bonita. John jumped in my yak and started paddling to Cuba! The leader got wrapped around the back of the kayak and I had to reel it right back in. John carried my leader all the way back to shore after a 500 yard drop! Its the nature of this sport, and it is not easy.
John brought a young man with him. His name was Kale. He had never been in a Kayak before, but John and me showed him the way. The waves and current are tough in Navarre, but I know this beautiful beach has some hidden Monsters lurking just off shore.
He dropped a Big Tuna Head about 300 yards out and then a Bonita head on my rod a little further.
Now the waiting game. I've been here a week already with nothing to show, except for enjoying the nice weather and shelling.
After about four hours, Johns rod takes off. Its the Tuna. He immediately tells me to Harness up, I do and I latch on to this shark. It doesn't feel that big until I get it closer to shore, and it was pissed!
7 and half foot scalloped Hammer Head. Thank You John! I know you did this just to help me out, and I appreciate it more than you know!
I locked the drag down and my wife held onto me. His 12/0 seems to have a little more umph than what I'm used to. Thanks again John, Kala and Nathaniel. Til'
next time my brothers!

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

^^^ Video did not load ^^^
Daron, please have your wife email pics and video to me at chilerelleno@comcast.net

Daron,
as always a pleasure to meet up with you and do some sharking/fishing.
And it was very nice to meet your wife and son, adding Mike to the bunch and you're a lucky man to have such a family.
Tell your wife "Thank You" from me again for the hospitality.

Man you've been due a good shark, when I felt that strong, fast run, I knew you needed it.
You do so much for others it is only right that it comes back around to you, and I'm happy to share.
Great shark, lots of fun, good fight, did NOT want to come over the sandbar, heh heh heh, wife had to keep her ol'man from getting dragged to Davey Jone's Locker.
Felt very good to get a fast catch, tag & release, and watch this shark swim off very strongly... Heck Yeah!
I can only wish we'd caught more and/or bigger fish, other than that what a beautiful day.
Any time my Bro, I'll happily fish with you anytime.

Shark: Scalloped Hammerhead, male, TL-7.5', approx weight 150-175#
Rod: Penn International V, turbo guides.
Reel: Penn 12/0 spooled with 1000 yards of 100# Sufix Superior mono.
Bait: Blackfin Tuna head, dropped about 350-400 yards out.
Fight lasted about a half hour, fish was tagged for NOAA's Apex Predator Program and released, it swam off very strongly.

Normal

With Attitude

The ol'man getting worked over

The wife saving him from swimming with a pissed off shark

Daron saying hello to his new friend

Pissed off shark

Collecting data for NOAA's Aprex Predator Tagging Program

Dehooking for release

NOAA Apex Predator Tagging Program data card

Ragnar Benson:

harryk3616

fantastic,   great bunch of pictures, a great bunch of guys and a gal and a nice shark,  it looked so beautiful there, that was living, i'm glad you had a wonderful time , beautiful, kudos daron and crew

cwillis85

Nice sharks, congratulations Daron.
Chris

wallacewt