Daiwa Lexa 400HS-P: Service Tutorial and Maintenance Tips

Started by johndtuttle, May 11, 2015, 11:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: handi2 on May 12, 2015, 11:51:56 PM
Great job John..!!

I love my Daiwa Lexa Reels. I use the 400 High Power in the Gulf.

Thanks Handi. Hey, did you ever post those pictures here of the reel with the uber soggy grease inside that cleaned up great? I think it would be good to have on the site to generate discussion.

Quote from: steelfish on May 12, 2015, 10:43:15 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on May 12, 2015, 09:22:17 PM
I could never understand that theory " If it ain't broke don't fix it". How about preventive maintenance! Fix it before it brakes....Dah!! 

normally from people that are not handy, lazy or dont want to pay for preventive maintenance "until" is needed (broken)

To be fair, the modern reel is a "black box" to most guys and they are kinda scared to go inside. Nothing is worse than losing a part (*sproing*...o crap....) or breaking something and your precious baby is out of commission for awhile. ;D Reminds me, I gotta get that spring on order from Okuma ;D.

But that inconvenience sure beats destroying a good reel from lack of maintenance.

Reel 224

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 13, 2015, 12:18:33 AM
Quote from: handi2 on May 12, 2015, 11:51:56 PM
Great job John..!!

I love my Daiwa Lexa Reels. I use the 400 High Power in the Gulf.

Thanks Handi. Hey, did you ever post those pictures here of the reel with the uber soggy grease inside that cleaned up great? I think it would be good to have on the site to generate discussion.

Quote from: steelfish on May 12, 2015, 10:43:15 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on May 12, 2015, 09:22:17 PM
I could never understand that theory " If it ain't broke don't fix it". How about preventive maintenance! Fix it before it brakes....Dah!! 

normally from people that are not handy, lazy or dont want to pay for preventive maintenance "until" is needed (broken)

To be fair, the modern reel is a "black box" to most guys and they are kinda scared to go inside. Nothing is worse than losing a part (*sproing*...o crap....) or breaking something and your precious baby is out of commission for awhile. ;D Reminds me, I gotta get that spring on order from Okuma ;D.

But that inconvenience sure beats destroying a good reel from lack of maintenance.

Yes that's true some reels are intimidating, but you have lots of help here if you run into trouble. You also have to approach this with a game plan and not just close you eyes and jump. Ask and learn first before you hear (Bong*). (OH S*&T).... ;D Just sayin!! 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 13, 2015, 12:58:02 AM
......... before you hear (Bong*). (OH S*&T).... ;D Just sayin!! 

this just happened to me last week, a big LD drag spring jumped and suddenly my world stopped for a moment trying to hear the sound of the spring hitting the floor.. after 4 seconds nothing, nada, none, zero sound.. danm!!  then I was worry no sound.. so it landed in something like a clothe or pillow.. no much of that in my room... after few minutes of search I found it, spring landed on my of my socks I just took off next to me.
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: steelfish on May 13, 2015, 01:27:40 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on May 13, 2015, 12:58:02 AM
......... before you hear (Bong*). (OH S*&T).... ;D Just sayin!! 

this just happened to me last week, a big LD drag spring jumped and suddenly my world stopped for a moment trying to hear the sound of the spring hitting the floor.. after 4 seconds nothing, nada, none, zero sound.. danm!!  then I was worry no sound.. so it landed in something like a clothe or pillow.. no much of that in my room... after few minutes of search I found it, spring landed on my of my socks I just took off next to me.

;D ;D Spring said :P
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

johndtuttle

Got this PM from Dominic Lee (the reel's owner):

"Hey John! got the reel back and its GREAT!!! wow its like new! spins great and feels perfect! wow! you wouldn't happen to know anyone at Alan Tani's site would you? I never received an email after I signed up there so I can't post anything.

Thanks again for the great writeup and fixing my reel!!! i'll definitely be taking a lot better care of it now that I know these are extremely sensitive reels!

Thanks!"

He'd like to comment in the thread if he can get his confirming email :).

Anyways, other than a small issue with the sealing around the thumb button it should be noted that it has the same design on the left side, but the left side was entirely unaffected by salt intrusion.

This may be a case of habitually rinsing the right side more than the left with the reel propped on the handle side etc or some other unforeseen quirk.

Regardless, the rehabilitation of the parts is a tribute to Daiwa's essential quality of materials and finish which would not be possible if they were not made right from the get go.

Great reel that fits a perfect size niche (~300 yards of 50lb braid) for much inshore and light offshore fishing.

best

fish_guts

Got the reel back from John and its like new!! Great writeup and very good information. Seems as though this reel demands extra care besides just rinsing it off. i'll be sure to depress the button when rinsing to avoid getting any water in that open spot. Reel performs like new! hard to believe it was at Daiwa needing tons of parts and John managed to make it like new with Zero new parts!!

since the fiasco with this reel occurred I took the time to open my other reels and grease them all.

Talica 12ii (Like brand new inside)
Avet SX MC 2 speed (non raptor) just needed a pinion bearing but super clean inside
Okuma Andros 5aii - Just serviced from Okuma (Excellent customer service by the way!!!)

Taking it out sunday to try it out on some local yellows!

johndtuttle

Quote from: fish_guts on May 18, 2015, 07:37:28 PM
Got the reel back from John and its like new!! Great writeup and very good information. Seems as though this reel demands extra care besides just rinsing it off. i'll be sure to depress the button when rinsing to avoid getting any water in that open spot. Reel performs like new! hard to believe it was at Daiwa needing tons of parts and John managed to make it like new with Zero new parts!!

since the fiasco with this reel occurred I took the time to open my other reels and grease them all.

Talica 12ii (Like brand new inside)
Avet SX MC 2 speed (non raptor) just needed a pinion bearing but super clean inside
Okuma Andros 5aii - Just serviced from Okuma (Excellent customer service by the way!!!)

Taking it out sunday to try it out on some local yellows!

Glad you got registered Dom. :)

To be fair, the time required is probably prohibitive for the service centers at Daiwa, Shimano, Penn, Okuma et al....they probably have ultrasonic cleaners and everything else imaginable for removing schmutz on parts and quick clean up...but no one there can spend the time really buffing parts by hand and reconditioning a reel etc. like the guys do here.

A job like yours is a very time intensive one that is only done when the replacement part is not readily at hand or for fun/regard for an old reel with many war stories behind it and of course, for illustrative purposes :). Typically, I think it is safe to assume that the big name service centers are overwhelmed with work during the busiest time of the year...getting ready for summer season...and wait times are tough for most guys needing a service as it is.

If a part is rough, no time is spent re-habbing it (all the time spent is wasted if that clutch doesn't work despite your efforts or the gear remains rough etc) so parts are simply replaced rather than refurbished meticulously. It's just a reality that the techs have to use their time more efficiently than the specialty guys or hobbyists like me.

best

johndtuttle

Some updates from Dom (fish_guts):

"Hey John. I was fishing the lexa and he paddle part of the handle got really loose. I took it apart at home and one of the handle bearings fell apart. There seems to be a little lip at the top of the shaft and there are some marks on the shaft prob from the bearing being eaten up. Can I just sand it smooth and put new handle bearings? Thanks"

My reply:

yep, the shaft is gonna be some serious tough stainless so you can't really hurt it. On the other hand, you may need to do nothing because it doesn't rotate, the bearing takes all of the load. Just buff it enough as needed to get the bearing on the shaft.

Look at the screw and see if there is a drop of blue goo on the end. Typically they do and it is Blue Loctite. This can be important to keep that screw tight in the long term. If you don't have any, you can put the screw back tight...with a little grease on the tip to protect it. But it may come loose again so be sure to get it tight, but don't strip it  ;).

never use Red Loctite because that is a permanent glue. Blue is intended to keep stuff tight but be removable.

let me know how you make out. I hope the rest of the reel is working well?

best, John

Dom replied:

"Hey John the reel works great!!! Like brand new! The screw was actually really tight just the bearing fell apart and that caused it to get loose. Cool I'll call daiwa for the bearings today! Thanks!!"

my reply:

Get two while you're at it just in case the other one is in trouble. My guess is the one at the base of the handle crumbled? There was a lot of salt there.

The handle assembly is one of those "let sleeping dogs lie" if it is working generally. If they use Blue Loctite it is a pain to work with to put it back together. If they go the "get it super tight" route there is always the worry of stripping a part.

Putting it back together slather it all aggressively with Marine Bearing Grease. The knob may not spin like crazy like before, but it will not be noticeable when using the reel and be ideally protected. Then regular care is just oil from the outside. Try not to take the screw off unless you really must....eventually there is a loss of tolerance and you can have trouble with it getting loose etc.

best

fish_guts

Well I Called Daiwa and it seems they want almost $30 for the 2 handle bearings..

Probably just going to go ahead and buy the slightly longer handle with EVA foam knob for around the same price (not from Daiwa)

Thanks again John for all the help!

If anyone knows the bearing sizes that would be a great help!

Thanks!

johndtuttle

Just to give the Lexa 400 some props this is an example of what the reel is capable of...~120lbs BFT caught recently out of San Diego:

Which is probably pushing your luck but the reel did it and props to the angler!  ;D

50# Braid to 50# Fluoro I think it was, hooked and landed on a Yozuri Sashimi Bull popper. Props to Daiwa too. ;)

SteveL

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 12, 2015, 04:03:22 PM

Corrosion-X makes this stuff they call "Rust Remover" but I bet it is just CX in a different package lol. Rust just pours off stuff when you use just regular CX. Its a beautiful thing.

I am guessing that the Corrosion X Rust Remover is a non acidic chelating type similar to Evapo-rust (see http://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/).  The color liquid of the CX rust remover is similar and the description is similar. 

I picked up a 3/0 Senator that was crusted over with salt and corrosion.  Cracked it open and found essentially zero wear (not even the dog), just corrosion and rust.   The steel gear had a full layer of surface rust, some pitting under the gear and inside under the drag washers.  I bought a quart of Evapo-rust at O'Reilly Auto Parts for about $10, and found that a 6 hour soak made the gear look new with the exception of the pitting on the underside and inside (light sanding there to smooth it). 

The product works wonders on rusted items, and they say it won't hurt plastic or non-ferrous metals.   Unlike acid based removers (citric, acetic, oxalic or phosphoric), this apparently does not harm the underlying metal.  Best part is that it is reusable until it turns black from the dissolved iron.   

I've used this on a bunch of parts and  lightly rusted tools, and I haven't used more than a couple ounces.  For my purposes, I have ignored their directions on rinsing, redipping and airdrying.  I have been rinsing with water, blotting dry, dippinng in clean mineral spirits, and then a shot of WD or CX to protect until I'm ready to grease and install.

I have not tried the CX rust remover, but I would expect it to work about the same.

Wonder how this stuff would work in an ultrasonic cleaner?

jcool3

Sorry, I am novice when it comes to working on reels but I want to check out the gears on
my lexas and grease them.   To access  ... is it necessary to take off the handle first.
Or will unscrewing the 3 screws work.

kungajim

Quote from: jcool3 on July 11, 2016, 02:34:57 PM
To access  ... is it necessary to take off the handle first.

you definitely have to take off the handle, as well as a bunch of washers, etc.  definitely check out this site to get some step by step pics on how to strip down, clean, lube, and put the reel back together.  it's also very important to have the schematics, as well as proper tools and lubes. 

good luck,
Jim
so many baits....so little time

johndtuttle

Sorry, I am novice when it comes to working on reels but I want to check out the gears on
my lexas and grease them.   To access  ... is it necessary to take off the handle first.

The handle bits are very easy to remove if you have a Daiwa or Penn wrench for the handle nut. Otherwise you can try wrapping it in a towel and using pliers to avoid scratching it (which will promote corrosion).

All the rest just lifts off. Carefully set them down in order and the plate will lift off. Nothing hard at all.  ;)

jcool3

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 11, 2016, 06:04:06 PM

The handle bits are very easy to remove if you have a Daiwa or Penn wrench for the handle nut. Otherwise you can try wrapping it in a towel and using pliers to avoid scratching it (which will promote corrosion).

All the rest just lifts off. Carefully set them down in order and the plate will lift off. Nothing hard at all.  ;)

Thanks, I found a lexa takeapart on youtube.  On another thread, someone was talking about putting vaseline in the reel...is that a option to keep saltwater out??