too much adjustment on star drag fix required

Started by wva custom rods, June 17, 2015, 04:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wva custom rods

Finally solved my baitcaster problem (was a rotten drive bearing!), now smooth as silk however i have a LOT of adjustment on the star drag...

there's about 6 complete 360 degree rotations from on to off, however the drag actually only comes into play after 4 complete rotations.

I played around with the square tension nut on the drive shaft/handle assembly, but doesn't seem to make much difference.

What have i done wrong guys? Ideall i'd like maybe 3 rotations of the star drag from completely off to fully locked.

foakes

While not recalling what type of baitcaster you are working on? -- one can generally shorten and tighten up the star drag travel distance by adding washers, spring washers, or a longer spacer.

Sometimes after drag replacements -- this is a necessary adjustment.

Not hard -- just need to see what will work without binding either on top of the stack -- or under the star.

Let us know what we can do to help.

Pics would be good.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

In addition to what Fred had indicated, it's quite possible that you may need new drag washers or thicker drag washers to increase the height.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wva custom rods

Here's a link to a strip down on the same reel.

http://www.siamfishing.com/content/view.php?nid=168464&cat=inside

I have a spare set of drag washers -  can i run 2 x carbontex on top of each other inside the main gear?
It might be enough to reduce the excessive star drag travel. (I think if i add an extra drag washer to the pawl cog it may lift the main gear out of sync with the pinion)

or am i better off adding some sort of spacer into the handle assembly? (if so where?)

foakes

Yes,

You should be able to add another inside gear CF washer on top of the other one -- make sure they are greased with drag grease -- make sure the SS drag plate will not touch the inside of the sideplate when compressed or loosened out all of the way -- see how your star travel is now...

Or, you can add another slightly higher sleeve or same diameter washers under the star -- and it should accomplish the same result.

You are correct about changing the contact point between the pinion and main -- I would not do that -- keep it as designed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: wva custom rods on June 17, 2015, 07:30:52 PM
I have a spare set of drag washers -  can i run 2 x carbontex on top of each other inside the main gear?
It might be enough to reduce the excessive star drag travel. (I think if i add an extra drag washer to the pawl cog it may lift the main gear out of sync with the pinion)

or am i better off adding some sort of spacer into the handle assembly? (if so where?)

Add a washer in the main gear.  It's possible that the replacement washer was not thick enough.

If you are going to add a spacer, you would need to place it between the nut and the spacer tube.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wva custom rods

many thanks fred + bryan, i'll add an extra drag washer inside the main gear cog and see what i get.

as regards adding a spacer, I dont know what the spacer tube is ! (sorry, its my first baitcaster!)
On one side of the nut is the spring and star drag, and on the other side is a small friction washer followed by 2 x larger concave washers.

jonnou

Just a shot in the dark. Are the Bellevilles orientated right? () these are the concave ones you describe. if they are (( they will take up less space.
Good luck Jon

handi2

Yes check the Bellville spring washers under the threaded nut. If needed you can add another one or just a flat washer on top. This would be better than doubling the drag washers. Assuming the correct drag washers are in place. The top metal washer may have a high spot to it. Make sure the high spot is up.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wva custom rods

i added an extra drag washer to main gear cog - a fraction too tight now, stiff to reel with star drag fully backed off  >:(

what do the belleville washers actually do? if i turned them round from () to )) i reckon i might have it about right...

are they just spacers or do they provide resistance to drag tightening?

will sit on my hands until someone can enlighten me!

Rivverrat

The belleville (spring washers) washers allow for gradual adjustment of the drag & help the the star to stay where you put it. By playing around with them you could achieve what your after. By rearranging & added them....Jeff

johndtuttle

Quote from: wva custom rods on June 18, 2015, 12:21:14 AM
i added an extra drag washer to main gear cog - a fraction too tight now, stiff to reel with star drag fully backed off  >:(

what do the belleville washers actually do? if i turned them round from () to )) i reckon i might have it about right...

are they just spacers or do they provide resistance to drag tightening?

will sit on my hands until someone can enlighten me!

Glad you've got it sorted this far. Be sure to pack that drive bearing and the receptacle with marine grease. They are notorious for going bad as any saltwater that gets in the reel collects there or in the handle.

As above, the bellevilles give you your drag range. Instead of going from nothing to full drag in a quarter turn they allow a gradual ramping up of drag pressure. There orientation of ( ) is also essential for normal spacing of all the parts in the handle below the star.

Bryan Young

Quote from: wva custom rods on June 18, 2015, 12:21:14 AMi added an extra drag washer to main gear cog - a fraction too tight now, stiff to reel with star drag fully backed off  >:(

Thank means that the top metal drag washer is hitting the side plate.

If your bellevile washers are configured ( ) then I would recommend adding a thrust washer (shim) between the Belleville washers and the star until you get the height that you seek.