Help with a Penn formula 10LD with stuck screws

Started by steelfish, May 28, 2015, 05:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well I was about to open a penn formula 10LD reel to service it, but got stuck with the long screws on the top, they are really tight

the rest of the screws on the reel were easy as normal just this two screws are giving me problems, I have a screwdriver that fit really good on the slot of the head, no play at all, and I could turn each screw 1/2 turn but they got tight again and I couldnt move them any more.
of course I trying to unscrew them to the left (normal).

I stopped cuz the screwdriver started to slip as you can see in the pics, I ran out of WD-40 but I add a bit of Inox spray yesterday and bit more today early.
the frame and sides are graphite and according to a tutorial from AT on the penn GLD this screws are long at least the longest on this reel, what do you guys recommend to work them out? I was thinking to buy a new screw driver with more leverage or taking the reel to a machinist ( I dont know anyone).

thanks in advance

not the same model reel than mine but pretty much identical,the formula is just more sturdy on the graphite body
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=268.0

The Baja Guy

foakes

Hi SF --

For me, I generally only get one or two shots at this before having to drill out or replace screws.

So here is what I would try --

Make sure you have a really good fitting, quality, hollow ground short tip blade.

Get one of these thick handle, short, manual ratchet screwdrivers.  The closer you can be to the screw head -- the more torque and control you have.  This was an inexpensive screwdriver that I have used for years and years.  All I did was replace the cheap tips with quality tips as soon as I bought it for about $3.

It really fits my hand well -- and I can really get a good grip on it, with no slipping.

Set the left side down on a padded surface -- hold it tight with your left hand -- really put some down pressure on the screw, and slowly ease it to the right (tighten) -- just to try and break the bond.

Then, if you are lucky, you will be able to use the same downward pressure to steadily ease the screw out.

Power drivers are no good for this -- manual drivers with high handle torque and a short tip are all that work for me.  Got to have good, steady control -- with plenty of slow torque.

If you break the screw -- that can be dealt with -- but you have to get it apart to either replace the broken screw, or use the old one if still serviceable.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on May 28, 2015, 05:55:02 PM

... and slowly ease it to the right (tighten) -- just to try and break the bond.

hmm this sounds like a new trick I didnt knew..
I have a screwdriver like yours but big larger but the tips must be the cheaper ones because all of them slip with little effort, the one that have a real nice bite or fit on this screw head is Stanley, and as you commented I need one closer to the reel.

I will let the reel owner the issue before breaking something  ;D, if he gives me the go for it, I will continue working it out and let you guys know later.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Fred,

your trick worked really good, I finally got both screws out, it was almost a lost battle but at the end they got loose.. one is totally trashed and the other is about to get too, so, Now Im short on two screws of 1", I tried to fit on of my 3mm or 4mm SS screws that I use on my RC cars but they didnt fit, this penn screws must be SAE size between 3mm and 4mm, if you are familiar with penn screw sizes by chance do you have 2 available or any of the guys?

"scott penn store" have some but are bit shorter

the head on those screws are smaller than normal screws from the local Hardware stores.
The Baja Guy

retrofit

Just a thought for the future. You seemed to say that these were the last two you were taking out to remove the side plate. You stated that these were the longest screws. Remove the longer screws first. You wouldn't think it would make a difference but just releasing the pressure of the short screws first allows the plate to open up a bit and the long screw shafts are no longer in good alignment. That is especially true where the long screw passes through some other parts that are stacked together. As far as new screws, get the reel schematic which will give you the part number for the screws and then I'll bet you a cold soda you can get them from Scott's or one of the guys on this site.

steelfish

Quote from: retrofit on May 29, 2015, 06:40:21 PM
Just a thought for the future. You seemed to say that these were the last two you were taking out to remove the side plate. You stated that these were the longest screws. Remove the longer screws first. You wouldn't think it would make a difference but just releasing the pressure of the short screws first allows the plate to open up a bit and the long screw shafts are no longer in good alignment. That is especially true where the long screw passes through some other parts that are stacked together.

thanks for the advise, I will have into consideration for future reels

this is a discontinued reel from long time, scotts dont have the same reel, I looked the ones on penn GLD and they are 3/4" and the ones I need must be 1" long.

The Baja Guy

foakes

Hi SF --

Those are long screws -- and may be hard to find -- but by no means impossible.

Like retrofit sez -- someone on here has these -- or you can try various shops -- or McMaster-Carr.

I do have some Penn screws -- but am not sure that part number matches with what I have on hand.

Part number should be 031TO15KG -- Mine are for 130s, and show a different number.

Some I have are 1 1/4" -- some are 1" -- these measurements include the heads.

Width is 5/32".

Do not think these will work -- but if you think they will, and you get stuck -- I could send them to you.

But I would keep trying for the right part number.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

When it comes to screws, which reels have a ton of. I am surprised that no one has suggested having or purchasing a screw gauge. They tell you the screw size and thread configuration, and length. The look of those screw heads tells me the wrong driver was used and it's time to replace them. There are suppliers that can match them and they have SS screws or what ever type you may need. When all else fails PM Fred ;D

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/thread-pitch-gauges/screw-chek-r-prod775.aspx
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 29, 2015, 08:46:10 PM
When it comes to screws, which reels have a ton of. I am surprised that no one has suggested having or purchasing a screw gauge. They tell you the screw size and thread configuration, and length. The look of those screw heads tells me the wrong driver was used and it's time to replace them. There are suppliers that can match them and they have SS screws or what ever type you may need. When all else fails PM Fred ;D

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/thread-pitch-gauges/screw-chek-r-prod775.aspx

another great idea, thanks buddy, I will get one asap ( I have a tons of screws too, not as Fred has of course),  the RC world is worst than reels dealing with small screws, I have various sets of RC screws so, I normally search for one on any of my 3 boxes and find one that fits, this was the first time I culdnt found the correct one,

@ Fred, this weeked I will to a big city for shopping, I live in a small fishing town, I'll search on different hardware stores for the screws, if not luck I will let you know, thanks

- Alex
The Baja Guy

retrofit

Here you go. I checked the schematic for the reel and the screw you want is Penn SKU# 46-9500. Scotts has them in stock for the unbelievable price of 60 cents each. According to Scotts photo the screws are not 1 inch long but rather they are 5/8 inch long. Could it be that some previous owner of the reel put the longer screws in because they just went to the local hardware store and bought the closest screw they could get?

steelfish

Quote from: retrofit on May 30, 2015, 03:25:59 AM
Here you go. I checked the schematic for the reel and the screw you want is Penn SKU# 46-9500. Scotts has them in stock for the unbelievable price of 60 cents each. According to Scotts photo the screws are not 1 inch long but rather they are 5/8 inch long. Could it be that some previous owner of the reel put the longer screws in because they just went to the local hardware store and bought the closest screw they could get?

Well I Foundation out That same part too but understood the Penn GLD reel, they are probably the dame than Penn formula reels but since I found the screws searching intocables another reel model I tools That as different parts
I think they need to be 1" to be able to attach the side plante ti the frame Aldo the Liga and Also have enough thread left to fer into an aluminium bar That Lake the reel stiffer ejem all the top screws are tighten up.
But I could be wrong.

Dont you hate when the part cost 0.60cts and shipping it  $6.50?

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: steelfish on May 30, 2015, 06:04:24 AM
Quote from: retrofit on May 30, 2015, 03:25:59 AM

Well I Foundation out That same part too but understood the Penn GLD reel, they are probably the dame than Penn formula reels but since I found the screws searching intocables another reel model I tools That as different parts
I think they need to be 1" to be able to attach the side plante ti the frame Aldo the Liga and Also have enough thread left to fer into an aluminium bar That Lake the reel stiffer ejem all the top screws are tighten up.
But I could be wrong.

Dont you hate when the part cost 0.60cts and shipping it  $6.50?

Scots is in my area if you want me to check on shipping for you I can. Also need to know where you are. To me it would make sense to buy a full set of screws for that reel.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

thanks for your kind offers guys but I could find a proper screw for the reel, I went with a friend that has a junk yard of fishing reels (kind of) and two of them fit nice and tight

The Baja Guy

retrofit

Great! Hay, just for the record, did you use 5/8 inch screws or 1 inch screws? Justin case someone else has a similar question in the future and finds this thread.

steelfish

It was a 1" screw.
It need that side in order to have a good bite on the aluminium transversal top bar
The Baja Guy