Penn Fathom 15 problem...

Started by Fish-aholic, May 22, 2015, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

This happen to me. On the same day i got it. I just returned.   :(
The monsters in my head are scared......

Alto Mare

If this happened to you as well, there is definitely a problem with the design.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 24, 2015, 04:32:02 PM

Yep, sounds like the Part wasn't hardened properly. :(

foakes

Seems like a fair number of the modern Penn parts are not as good as we used to be able to count on -- unfortunately.

Likely has to do with the lowest bidder -- when it comes to suppliers -- particularly with some of the Asian offerings.

Just my opinion based on what comes across the bench nowadays.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Quote from: foakes on May 24, 2015, 05:13:31 PM
Seems like a fair number of the modern Penn parts are not as good as we used to be able to count on -- unfortunately.

Likely has to do with the lowest bidder -- when it comes to suppliers -- particularly with some of the Asian offerings.

Just my opinion based on what comes across the bench nowadays.

Best,

Fred

To be fair, everyone that sources parts in China runs up against the same problems, particularly with a new series of reel.

When they first come out we can only look at the overall design intent and speculate as to how things should hold up...then we have to wait and see when production models get field tested to see how they actually executed the design and manufacturing of the parts.

This sort of issue with the handle nut is only possible due to a supplier either skipping the hardening step (too soft) or making them too hard (and too brittle so they crack).

Standard "teething issues" in a newly manufactured part from people trying to maximize their profit. There is only so much you can do to quality control final production before people start finding the small problems on their own.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bestout

this is why i hate when buying made in china penn  imho.
The monsters in my head are scared......

Alto Mare

Could be as simple as tapped too tight. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

It boils down to the company and their standards -- there are many thousands of good companies and millions of good products coming out of Asia.

In many cases, some of the products are actually better.

Problems occur when companies try to cut corners to save a few cents -- a part may look the same as what we are used to seeing -- but under actual usage, failure rates go off the chart.  This is generally due to a poor alloy recipe, softer materials, not enough hardening -- or too much, poor fit, cheaper chroming, and other things -- all relating to saving $$$.

Anyone who has done manufacturing in China recently, will attest to the fact that corruption, under the table pay-offs, and outright deception -- is not only rampant -- but is expected, and the government turns a blind eye as long as all is going well.

No manufacturer can make every part required for a particular product -- items must be sourced out to smaller suppliers.

In many cases, it is cheaper for American companies to source parts from China -- for products manufactured in the US.

So, we just have to base our buying decisions on experience and ratings.  And then hope for the best.

And some of it is our own fault -- we are not willing to pay what it costs for US made comparable products.

We go for the less expensive options -- sometimes it is OK, sometimes not so much.

Check the labeling on your clothes, shoes, TVs, appliances, basically everything we buy -- most will be from Asia.

Just another opinion.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

johndtuttle

Quote from: bestout on May 24, 2015, 07:21:34 PM
this is why i hate when buying made in china penn  imho.

I think you will find Penn is very responsive to these issues.

Bear in mind that this sort of thing is simple to fix and you are looking at a relatively new to the market reel with probably new suppliers now that Penn is owned by Pure Fishing.

Point being, the older Penn reels made in China were very bad, but that is to be expected when you have lesser resources and are working with factories that have little interest in your long term business. Now Penn has real muscle to get this sorted out and for such a simple issue it won't take long.

Talk to Tony in the Penn Service Center. He will have a new part in the mail to you on Monday with no questions asked. Probably a batch issue that the factory screwed up on (pun alert  ;) )...but they probably have another batch of parts in stock that don't have the issue.

ps. If you can't remove it then Penn will do it for you I am quite sure as well. But you will have to send the reel to them.