bail spring assembly on a quantum smoke spinning reel

Started by cslater13, May 25, 2015, 03:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cslater13

Well, here I am again for the second time today with another problem that has got me stumped. When I was taking my bail assembly apart as soon as I pulled the shaft holding it together I didn't know and the spring fell out the other side before I could get a good look at it and take pictures. Now I'm trying to put everything back and I'm stumped again. Thank goodness I only have 2 spinning reels. Its similar to a thumbpress assembly on a baitcaster, a plastic notch that is loaded by a spring has to line up perfectly with the cover that goes over it. When it fell out it didn't have very much pressure on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I gained nothing by opening it other than using my own grease which I guess is a good thing but I thought there might have been some metal parts I could have polished smooth or a bearing in there but there was nothing but a headache inside there. 

foakes

Hi cslater13 --

The white nylon actuator "L" leg goes into a hole on the inner side of the bail lever.

The spring attached to it just lays down in the rectangular trough.

Sometimes it is very difficult to reinstall this actuator -- since it is going into a blind hole on the backside of the bail lever.

A trick is to apply a little grease to the nylon part that gets inserted into the lever.  As you reinstall the assembly -- just make sure the spring lays in the trough.  Then just before the Main bail screw is tightened all of the way -- you can install the assembly cover -- snug it down -- this holds the spring in place -- then just finish snugging the main bail screw.

Let us know how you did.

Should be fine.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cslater13

I had a little trouble understanding exactly what you were telling me to do but the only way that spring can lay inside of that casing without too much pressure is this way but I don't see how this could work because the pin you see that goes through the big hole would keep that spring from moving at all. I meant to turn the nylon piece around so that the post side was up.

foakes

Typically, this is a common setup for various spinners.

The spring actuator nylon post should be inserted into the backside of the bail lever -- then the entire assembly should be installed at once -- making sure the spring is under nearly full pressure, I believe.  Spring goes in first -- then the lever -- and at the same time the spring cover. 

Could be wrong -- show us a pic of the back of the bail lever.

Let us know -- thanks.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

The spring and kick lever are in right but the spring goes over to the right side next to the kick lever. They both fit on the right side of the hole.

Then the bail arm is put on so the hole in the back of the bail arm fits into the plastic part of the spring. The kick lever fits into the groove on the bail arm.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cslater13

The last post I understand a little more, I need to verse myself more on the correct terms for each part, I have just been trying to do this while running out the door for work and getting home late. I tried that setup where the spring and actuator were to the right, compressed and inserted into the hole on the back of the cover with the lever arm on it but the spring was cocked sideways awkwardly and when I tried to fold the bail over the spring was getting kinked and couldn't go all the way. I just need to sit down and pull up my diagram so I can match each label to the part and I'll know better what you are trying to tell me. Sorry for making this more difficult than it should be but I really, really appreciate you helping me here.

handi2

That's the tricky part on some of these reels. Once the bail arm is put on with everything in it's correct place the spring will be bowed up. You can sneak the cover on real quick or leave the spring hanging where it fits into the bottom. Install everything and then get the spring in the bottom and get the cover on. Its very tricky on some reels.

I have cut a bit off the spring at times.

I use the Smoke reels myself. They are great lightweight, strong, reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cslater13

I'm not feeling too smart after this one. I tried it again how you guys were telling me and how I originally thought it was supposed to go but this time I actually put it all together before I tried to flip the bail lever and it worked just fine. Thank you guys for helping me again. I'm glad I did it now because I know how to do it and I can feel the difference my grease made compared to that milky crap that came in it. Now all I need to figure out is how to get a stripped drag screw out. This reel is really giving me all I can handle.