My First Pflueger

Started by Tightlines667, June 02, 2015, 04:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhere have you been Signor Cacioppo? I haven't seen you in a while.
Nice to see you back.
I have been looking for spare time. I am spread out too thin. Too many projects. Good to know I am missed. :D

QuoteYou are rite on with the Capitol, it is a model 1988 good call!! It probably could us some upgrades to make it a bit better for fishing, one thing that I find is the drag star and crank are loose,as in the crank and star will move in and out slightly as there is very little drag adjustment left. I love this reel for it's simple operation and smoothness. 
Sounds like it needs some TLC at the Alan Tani website. I have no experience with working on Capitols. I think I have opened a couple of them and sort of remember them being different than what I was accustomed to. You may have to resort to Mr. Fred Oakes for parts, sound to me like you have some serious wear inside that old reel.

Reel 224

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 03, 2015, 11:39:03 PM
QuoteWhere have you been Signor Cacioppo? I haven't seen you in a while.
Nice to see you back.
I have been looking for spare time. I am spread out too thin. Too many projects. Good to know I am missed. :D

QuoteYou are rite on with the Capitol, it is a model 1988 good call!! It probably could us some upgrades to make it a bit better for fishing, one thing that I find is the drag star and crank are loose,as in the crank and star will move in and out slightly as there is very little drag adjustment left. I love this reel for it's simple operation and smoothness. 
Sounds like it needs some TLC at the Alan Tani website. I have no experience with working on Capitols. I think I have opened a couple of them and sort of remember them being different than what I was accustomed to. You may have to resort to Mr. Fred Oakes for parts, sound to me like you have some serious wear inside that old reel.

Could be wear on the drag washer side, I hope that is all. I haven't taken the time to break it down and attempt to analyze the situation. I'm ball parking here that it may be the gear sleeve or maybe a spacer needs to be added. I'm sure there is someone here that can help me with parts, and of course Fred will be my go to guy ;D If that fails WELLLL! Then I get worried. ;) Fred you listenin? :D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

If it gets too hairy, Joe...

Just go ahead and PM me your address --

I will just send you a decent Capitol -- and you can save yours for parts!

Should have a few laying around.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on June 04, 2015, 02:40:58 AM
If it gets too hairy, Joe...

Just go ahead and PM me your address --

I will just send you a decent Capitol -- and you can save yours for parts!

Should have a few laying around.

Best,

Fred

Lets see what this one looks like, I would really hate to part this one out because it belonged to a very good friends father, and neither is with us now. It has more sentimental value then $value to me. If it needs parts or drag washers maybe I can get it up to par. I may start taking it apart tomorrow or this weekend. Fred I will keep you in mind as I travel threw this reel.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Checked the play I was having in the Pflueger Capital reel I have and discovered that the drag has little adjustment I could make it up by using a Bevel washer with an od of .550-.565 with a center bore the same as the 5 stack used for the penn surfmaster 200. Is there anything out there that would fit that dimension?