Newell problem

Started by Rickman, December 16, 2010, 06:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickman

Hola from Baja!
One of my neighbors just brought his Newell S229 over. He surfs all summer and his reel just sat around. He went to use it the other day and the freespool lever wouldn't move. I took the right side off but the spool won't come out of the bearing on that side. I got the lever to move but it isn't releasing. Any hints on getting it apart before we try more force? I shot a good amount of Corrosion X in to let it soak. He lost a big fish with his spinning gear off the beach this morning and is motivated!
Thanks,
Rick

Rickman

Okay....got into it some more, and also looked for the problem on this site! Guess it's not something that is new. It is the pinion gear, I got the bearing out fairly easily. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'm going to take the yoke assembly off and try the two screwdriver pry out. This reel is about a year old, very clean inside except for this little problem. Like Alan has said here....take it apart and lube it even if it's new!

Fishead

I have had this happen to several of my Newells after they sat for a while.Sounds like the pinion is frozen on the spool shaft.Try PB blaster or WD-40 & a LITTLE heat & let it sit for a minute or so to help it creep between the 2 metals.I like either of these 2 products since they are a little thinner than corrosion - x and seem to penetrate better.Then wipe them off & lube with the corrosion - x.I also polish the spool shaft after I get the gear off to give better free spool.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

alantani

welcome, rick!  yup, pinion gear. it's tough with stainless steel on stainless steel.  careful with the pinion gear, also.  they're $20 each.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!