Newell S229-5 sloppy spool release button?

Started by sinkerswim, January 24, 2011, 04:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Took on a friends Newell problem as a favor. Probably bit off more than I can chew.

The spool release lever is sloppy, right to left, left to right, with an abnormal amount of play. When the spool lever is placed in the release position it doesn't "lock" in solidly. It seems like a good stiff breeze will propel the lever forward and end freespool. I think the jack spring could be the problem. However, before I order the part I'd like to hear from others as to what you might think the problem could be.

Thanks

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sinkerswim

Hi Alan,

Yes, the spring was in place. However, when I removed it to clean and lube, it broke right where it exited the pigtail. So, that will definitely need replacing. Additionaly, the lever doesn't sit flush firmly against the plate under the e-clip, there is some play. Is this normal? Or, should it be tight flush?

alantani

yeah, the spring needs to be replaced and the lever needs to be shimmmed so that there is no play.   i actually know where the newell stuff is (unlike almost EVERYTHING else) and i do not have a spring.  i need to order some anyway and can forward one along to you or you can call them yourself (check the newell board for the number).  shimming the lever for me is some trial and mostly error.  i have a junk tray full of old washers and would just dredge through until i find one that works.  if you can just ship me the side plate, i can get it done in 5 minutes, or ship the entire reel and i can send it directly back to your buddy with a bill!  ;D

sinkerswim

Thanks for the replies Alan. And, thanks again for this site. I already called Norma for the part and check was sent to her. As far of the washer to shim the lever. Believe it or not there is still a mom and pop hardware store in my town. He'll let me rummage around till I find the right sized washer. However, Alan I do appreciate your offer. I'll try to tackle this one on my own. I do really believe that time will catch up with me and luck will run out. Then you will be getting the bag of parts and maybe a couple pieces of lint and some of my daughter's cat's hair. I have seen you sort some real piles of junk, in pictures. Only to come out on the other end with a spectacular rebuild.

alantani