Mike (Wally15) and Joes Fishing Adventures

Started by JoePlo, June 04, 2015, 12:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePlo

Alantani.com is a great website where people can build friendships and fishing reels. Through this site I am very grateful to have met a great new friend, fellow Army veteran Mike aka Wally15. So far we have had 2 fishing adventures and on June 1-2 we really tested some gear. Found that 40-50lb braid wouldn't hold the snappers and groupers we were messing with. I started out using my Release Reel SG with 40lb power pro and got broke off repeatedly. Mike and I beefed up the tackle to a Penn Baja Special (for me) and a 6/0 (for Mike) with 100lb power pro and 80lb leaders and started winching up the snappers. Spent 2 great days in the GoM and saw some neat stuff. Had this water spout about 1 mile away from us which actually caused us to move off our spot. Overall we caught well over 20 red snapper, 1 giant mangrove, 1 big gag (out of season) and plenty more random fishes.

ChileRelleno

Nice fish!
Ain't it great to meet people, to make fishing friends and enjoy the outdoors.

We've had at least a dozen water spouts seen down here with the large pop-up Tstorms moving through.
There have been a couple that were huge and right of the beaches.
Thankfully none came ashore and caused any damage and no one on the water has been hurt.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff Joe! Looks like you and wally slayed them! The pic of that spout is Awesome! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Thise waterspout pictures are pretty cool.  It has been many years since I have seen one myself, but our fisheries observers occasionally encounter them on their extended voyages, and bring back some amazing videos.  It is my understanding that they are much rarer out in the middle of the Central and North Pacific then in the Atlantic Caribean, or Gulf.  

Looks like you had a good day out on the water none-the-less.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

If I was out on the open water and saw a waterspout like that it would scare the fish out of me.  Thanks for the photos and report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Some very nice fish, great to see people get together threw this site. Those water spouts are nothing to fool with on the water, great pictures.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Wally15

I'm the good looking guy holding the red snapper  ;D
Hope I don't wear out my arm, or my mojo, before the SOA trip.
10 days and a wakeup!
Wally One Five
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Wally15

One other thing. The 11 day Federal red snapper season brings all kinds of fishermen to the Gulf. JoePlo and I were 22 miles out fishing a reef when a Ranger bass boat (complete with trolling motor and power pole) with 3 guys from Nashville, TN on board came tooling up and started fishing 20' from us. This was not long after we saw the water spout. Don't think the power pole will quite reach 100' down. That was the 2nd bass boat we saw, the 1st (also from Nashville), was "only" 15 miles out. It was a calm day on the water, 1-2 foot swells, but thunderstorms were building all around us. I got caught in one last week and it got ugly quick. 1st time in the Gulf I've ever put on a life vest AND attached the EPIRB.
I like fishing, but I like living a lot more. I haven't finished spending my children's inheritance.
I'd rather be on the beach wishing I was on the water, than the other way 'round.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Reel 224

Those guys in the bass boat are used to fishing in a crowd, but 15miles out. That's pushin it if bad weather pops up. Wouldn't be me even for the catch you guys have.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

theswimmer

Nice Big Snapper!
Looks like a great trip.
I have a buddy who fishes off California in a 22 Ranger but he has 2- 2000 gallons per minute bilge pumps, mounted on the floor in the open part of the boat.
Plus the standard pump has been upgraded to a 1500 GPM ,all running off a battery bank that will keep working while completely submerged.
However, 15 miles out is a long ways in an open boat .
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Reel 224

Quote from: theswimmer on June 04, 2015, 03:05:47 PM
Nice Big Snapper!
Looks like a great trip.
I have a buddy who fishes off California in a 22 Ranger but he has 2- 2000 gallons per minute bilge pumps, mounted on the floor in the open part of the boat.
Plus the standard pump has been upgraded to a 1500 GPM ,all running off a battery bank that will keep working while completely submerged.
However, 15 miles out is a long ways in an open boat .

Probably 28 years ago I met and spoke with Forest Wood the owner and designer of the Ranger Boat,at a fishing seminar. He was telling everyone that those boats were unsinkable because of all of the safety and flotation incorporated into them, and they are one heck of a bass boat. For me when it comes to offshore or inshore fishing from a boat, I want more then that under me just from a weather stand point and seas that can come up in a hurry, fish ain't worth my life.

theswimmer

I don't know if Rangers are unsinkable but I was with Peter off Big Sur and we took a big sneeker over the front of the boat .
We lost almost all the freeboard but were still afloat.
His big bilge pumps emptied the water in about 4-5 minutes and I don't want to find out what would have happened if we had taken two big waves close together.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Bill Karr

Mike,
Great fish. Let us know how winching up a big yellowtail on a dropper compares to equal weight snappers. You'll find out in a week!
Bill
Bill

Steve-O

Nice report and pics! Thanks for sharing. Love eatin' some delicious fishes. ;D

anglingarchitect

We caught some nice ones also but we were 85 miles out of Sarasota, no bass boats though.