can i separate side plate

Started by snowdog, June 07, 2015, 04:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowdog

I'm trying to get to the worm gear (pointing to it in photo) sandwiched between the left side plate and side ring.  Can these pieces be pulled apart?  Is this a good idea?  I don't see any other way to get to that gear.  This is on a Penn Super Peer 209 (also working on a 309). 

I have disassembled the reel because the level wind was frozen and spool would seize during retrieve but so far I cannot see any broken or noticeably worn gears.  Any suggestions what parts I should be concerned with?  One thing odd was the pin holding the gear sleeve to the bridge just fell out.  I expected that to be a press fit. 

Thanks for any advice

reelrepair123

yes, just pry off the chrome ring without bending it, not sure about the pin problem you mentioned.  somewhere in this site is a tutorial on a 209. they aren't a big problem you shouldn't have a problem, we are hear to help if you have any more questions.    harryk

FatTuna

Yes just pry off the ring carefully. Read the fine print on Penn parts site in regards to the level wind gears on this reel. The new and the old ones have different gears.

Sometimes the pawl is worn and binds the worm. I just worked on one that had a bent worm which caused it to bind. I'd start with cleaning the reel and trying it without the pawl installed to see if that allows the reel to turn. Pawls are cheap. There may be an extra hiding in the non-handle sideplate.

Start with a nice cleaning.

The pin shouldn't just drop out of the gear sleeve.

snowdog

Thanks for the tips.  Got the rings off and inspected worm gear...looks in good shape.

Found spare pawl.  Then took pawl cover off worm gear.  Pawl was so worn down that it took me a second to realize it was even there!  Unfortunately the worm gear ends are looking worn as well.   But this explains why the level wind was locking up.  Would that also cause the spool to lock up?

FatTuna

Yes, the entire reel will bind if the worm can not spin freely.

The worm is only a few dollars. Hopefully nothing else was damaged. Try the reel with the pawl/worm removed and you will know for certain.

If you don't care about the level wind you can always use the reel without it.

What kind of drag washers were in there?

snowdog

I don't know what the washers are but they are very thin and papery.  I ordered a set of the carbon fiber washers today.  Learning more about these reels every day. 

I have a fairly "educated" thumb, so level wind isn't essential but I use this reel kayak fishing so one less thing to deal with is good.  I'll order a replacement worm gear.

Thanks again for the help.

FatTuna

Sounds like you are good to go. I like 209s myself. I have a bunch of them.

Once you open one reel, you will open them all, welcome to the club ;D.

otghoyt

I use a drywall razor blade to start working a stuck ring off.  Little bit, little bit, round and round. Soon you can get something a little more substantial in there to wedge it off.

thorhammer

Quote from: fatstriper on June 08, 2015, 04:08:12 AM
Sounds like you are good to go. I like 209s myself. I have a bunch of them.

Once you open one reel, you will open them all, welcome to the club ;D.

5x

foakes

Hey, Sean --

Whoever you ordered your Penn parts from -- you might see of they haven't shipped yet, if you could have them include a few extra Pawls, along with a new nylon white LW idler gear for each one.

The idler gears will be stronger and smoother -- and the Pawls will be new, with new backups for spares.

These are cheap, and good to have around as you fish these in the salt.

Same shipping if you can catch the order before it goes out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

What Fred said. Between 9,10, 210, 209, 309, I must have thirty of these and use them as much as anything. About the only thing I've ever had to replace was a pawl or idler due to a broken tooth....the result of worm binding up and cranking against it.

snowdog

great idea but the order just shipped out  >:(.  Seeing as I'm going to clean up several more reels in the next week I will probably be placing another order so will be sure to include some extra parts.  Looking at my schematic it seems to imply that if I replace the plastic idler gear I have to replace the level wind and worm gear as well.

yes I agree that now that I've opened one reel they all have to be worked on.  I have two open now and had to stop myself from popping the rest open!  I realized I was going to have a small mountain of parts lying around and have yet to try and put one back together.  Whoa Nellie easy does it!  :o

foakes

No, Sean --

When you get into the reels, you will find that the nylon idler gears are a stand alone replacement.

They interact as the replaceable, throw-away, or weak link in the LW mechanism --

It is the cheap and easy replaceable part -- and is designed to prevent major damage to the rest of the more extensive and expensive LW parts -- brass gear, worm, pawl, guide, bushings, and spool LW gear.

Just clean up the side plate where it nests -- put one drop of synthetic oil on the bottom side, and just the slightest amount of grease to interact with the spool and worm gears more smoothly.

I have bought many a 109, 209, 309 and other similar Penns for $2 to $5 at yard sales -- just because the level wind was not working, and the seller figured the reel was shot.  They price them at $10, knowing it doesn't work -- then when you quiz them about the non-functioning LW -- they just say it needs cleaning -- but they are very happy to get rid of it for just a few bucks when you flash some cash.

Take it back home, replace the idler gear with just one or two teeth broken out -- and I have a $40 reel that works perfectly.

Keep your eyes open -- knowledge is key.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.