Cobia on my Little Spinner - That was Different!

Started by Prof. Salt, June 08, 2015, 02:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

Cobia are fighters especially in the boat, a few years ago I ruptured (tore the tendon from the bone) my bicep tendon in my right arm gaffing one boat side. It happened the second day of a two week vacation had reattachment surgery when I went home. Aside from weakness and an outstanding bruise was fishing and throwing a cast net the two days later, didn't really screw up my vacation.

Prof. Salt

Ouch! Yeah that's what I'm talking about. They can look docile and whipped, calmly laying there beside the boat. Once you stick a gaff in them everything gets crazy. I'll stick with a carefully aimed bonk on the head first if I'm in the kayak. If you can make contact in the sweet spot they will be unconscious long enough to get them aboard and covered up. That's when I usually follow up with a few more whacks, just to be sure.

Architect, I'm glad you wereat least able to finish your vacation before surgery!

Steve-O

Yowser! what a bruise.  Some fish are easy. Some are definitely not. Halibut will be all nuts flopping in the boat, but with a few strokes on the lateral line they get all happy and chill. :D

Grass carp have a rep like Cobia...comes to the boat, kayak, shore what have you all cool, calm and collected....ready for a picture perfect pose like this. ;D  next second.....BAM! tail slapped or worse!! :o

One trick to remember with some species is "Fin's up, lookout, mad fish" ...same with Bison (I've shot two) "tail's up, very mad buff".

Dominick

Now that is a slap in the face.   :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Makos sometimes do the same thing.  They come swimming up to the boat like a puppy dog on a leash.  Tickle them a bit with the gaff and you may find a guest in the cockpit.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Prof. Salt

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 09, 2015, 08:39:31 PM
Makos sometimes do the same thing.  They come swimming up to the boat like a puppy dog on a leash.  Tickle them a bit with the gaff and you may find a guest in the cockpit.

I think tea just shot out of my nose! That's good imagery! :D