12/0 with Adam's insert

Started by Shark Hunter, June 09, 2015, 05:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I finally did a static test of my 12/0 with Adam's Versa Drag style insert. This is the first kind of test I have did like this. I know Sal mounts his rods to the deck and reels wagons full of bricks up the driveway.
I just thought of what I had that was heavy enough to test the drags in this reel. All I could think of was an ammo can full of ammo. This 50 cal can weighs 30 lbs. It has 500 rounds of .308 inside. I lifted off the deck pretty easy. Well, the easy is from the reel and not me. This is a Calstar Baja Boomer 80 to 130, only 5'6" in length, and I think it did good enough for my first static test. I at least owe that to Adam. He went out of his way to make these and I am very happy with the results. I would have like to pushed it further, but this as an expensive rod and I will leave it at that. I know the math suggests that an 8 stack of Versa drag will produce 100 lbs. I Think a more realistic number is 50lbs. With the star about a half turn from full lockdown. It is perfect. A stock 12/0 would be slipping. I backed the drag down and gently sat the can down. That's enough for me. ;) A 30 lb capable 12/0 into a 50 lb Shark Tamer.

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Daron,

Seems to me this one is elegable for photo of the month.  Maybe you need to be fully strapped into your harness, and have a monster shark on the sand next to you to firm a complete picture.

I can't get this shot outta my head though :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I only wish I could have made that Happen John. The time will come. This is all I have for now. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Daron, a word of caution.  The next time you try this don't do the experiment under a roof.  If the line breaks there goes the rod or a hole in the ceiling/roof.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I am clear of the soffit. There is no roof above me. That is new 100lb Bull buster mono double crimped to a 500 lb swivel.
I should have been worried about breaking the sliding door! :o You should have seen the wife back up when I started lifting. :D
Life is Good!

Aiala

Barefoot?? Geez, Mr. Shark... With that much weight/pressure on your feet, I shudder to think where a stray splinter could end up...   :(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

broschro

:o that's all i have to say about that

Alto Mare

Nice going Bud.
I can't believe no one mentioned the ammo ::).
Daron, bring the bullets back in the house and try some bricks...please ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Nice! You need a full face helmet in case the crimp fails!! ;D
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal