Modifying Shimano handle knob shafts with machined bushings...

Started by Slazmo, June 14, 2015, 11:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slazmo

Hi guys,

So managed a BNIB Shimano Chronarch 201E5 here in Australia for $186 (BARGAIN ;) ).

Anyhow going about the service and the typical throughout strip-down and noticing that all the bearings were pressed shields throughout the reel, opening one bearing at a time and removing only one shield etc for servicing and ease of lubrication etc. Internally its exactly the same as the Curado G series - just made in Japan... (or as much as you can believe in that?)

Then, only then did I get to the handle and say to myself that I would get some Avail POM knobs that I have a fondness for on my reels for their comfort and ease of use / feel in the hand, I noticed that the Chronarch's  handle shafts were very different from those that I came to know from the Shimano baitcasters I come to see from others and that I own myself... The Curado's all have typical handle knob shafts which are flat and made from what seems Stainless Steel, unlike the Chronarch which are Aluminium, thus the Curado (Handle B)and others that bear the same knob shafts can be bearing modified and make the reel just that little more. I know my little Calcutta 50B has the same issue with the knob shafts and that will be next in line to get this treatment and some Avail handle knobs.

There was little chance like as much as a snow balls chance in hell that I was going to fork out another $130 for a Avail straight handle for the Chronarch, even if it was made from beautiful Duraluminium with Titanium handle knob shafts and anodised in black... Dreams are free arent they... But the truth is that I cant use a swept handle as a swept drag star doesnt exist for the reel that I know of due to the spool friction knob placement etc... The only swept star drag available comes in less than pleasing colours and the swept handle option available is less than optimal in its swept style as it add very little function over form.

So the Chronarch (Japanese made) came with the handle knob shafts (Handle A) with bushes pre / permanently machined onto the handle knob shafts. A really poor design as the handle knob at the inner end was on the aluminium bush and the outer end was bearing supported closest to the knob screw. I mean WTF is this all about here???

So what I did is (with the following pictures as a rough guide) dremel the bushes off with a metal cutting tip (Handle A) as close to the shafts lower diameter as possible - this diameter was larger than the end diameter which supported the bearing as the ID of the bearing is 4mm. The larger ID of the shaft would have been by best guess OD 5mm+.

After I gauged that the amount of metal that had to be removed I went to work with a Fuller mini hand file. Removing excess metal from the knob shaft little at a time radially and ensuring that the handle knob shaft remained smooth all around to ensure that the shafts kept some residual strength and that the bearing could fit. The process of carefully removing the excess material off the knob shafts took 30 minutes at each end, thus managing not to cock the shafts up and cost me time and more money. Once OD 4mm was reached at the start point I could slip the bearing on little by little and I removed minute amounts of residual metal off the shafts and the bearing slide along it and I could get them all the way to the end of the knob shafts.

The Avail handles come with both sizing washers and these are Shimano A and Daiwa B. The Shimano A sizing is usually just a thin plastic washer whereas the Daiwa washers are more of a thick cylindrical washer where the bearing butts up to. I found that the Daiwa B sizing to be absolutely perfect for the installation of the Avail POM knobs on the Chronarch OEM handle (Handle A) - a minute amount was taken off the cylindrical washer to give absolute zero lateral slop. Both bearings and knob installed and the handles are tight laterally however spin beautifully.

Hopefully someone can make sense of the writing above to the pictures that I attached below - unfortunately I cant do posts like I usually do on the other forum I am on to make it all logical? (((picture and script below each picture?)))

Slazmo

Cont Pictures.

Zimbass

Hi Andrew,

I am impressed with the time and effort this modification took. Great result.

Would it not have been a lot easier to have bought a new handle that accepts the bearings, to fit the Avail knobs ?

I know that making your own has a sense of achievement.............but just saying  ;)

Cheers,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Slazmo

Quote from: Zimbass on June 15, 2015, 05:37:50 AMWould it not have been a lot easier to have bought a new handle that accepts the bearings, to fit the Avail knobs ?

Hi Terry,

Thats not the Alan Tani way...

Also a stock Shimano handle would have had to have been off a Curado which doesnt suit the reel and the Avail handle is also a little unsuitable - both also quiet expensive and time to wait for them would have been prohibitive.

This is just a option for others that have come to this issue and this is a fix / upgrade option for those interested  ;)

Andrew

Zimbass

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.