6500 C3 cog wheel/idler gear rubbing

Started by mahfudzmn, June 13, 2015, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 14, 2015, 04:01:08 PM
Yes and I wouldn't want to have my finger caught in there if it was steel or brass, that could get ugly :P

Sure looks like it "done got ugly"....to me....hope the angler can still and does fish after that.

My C3's - all three - have the white gear, FWIW.

mahfudzmn

Quote from: hurt locker on June 14, 2015, 02:38:04 AM
Several years ago when I was going through my Abu upgrading stage I came upon a gray idler gear in either a 5601C or 5601C3 that i purchased around 1994 or 95. It was mentioned in a thread somewhere that I cannot find now. Basically it said to replace the grey idler asap as they were junk and had been replaced by Abu on all new product. The clips located at 9 O'clock and at 3 O'clock can be levered out and the gear will just lift off. no prying or mono tricks needed, so no stress on the post.

Thanks Mr Locker, I think I wanna find the regular white one and see what happens. Like you said, it is unlikely the post is bent because removing the gear was easy no force needed, unless someone before me screwed up the post.

Quote from: 0119 on June 13, 2015, 10:27:40 PM
I think those are mold lines not cracks. If the idler rubbing was rhythmic you said, not continuous, I suspect the post the cog rotates on is bent.  Often someone doesnt use the proper removal technique and the post takes the blunt of it.  Good luck with ereplacement, I've heard horror stories about them.

Thanks for the thought, I've been thinking about it but I guess the best bet is to replace the idler gear with the white version first. If it doesn't work then the reel is in deeper #### that I think it is :)

exp2000

No mystery here. This style Idler Gear was standard issue in at least one generation of ABUs.

Yep, that's the one with that cheap copper ratchet tongue. Glad that didn't last!

I'm sure I have a couple of spares here somewhere.

I was not aware of any performance issues though but I'm pretty sure the white nylon gear is a straight swap.

Have you checked for a bent pivot post? That would be a prime suspect.
~

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 13, 2015, 04:04:01 PM
Plastic gears UGH!! >:( Just can't seam to get why they are used at all. If there is a way to upgrade to brass or ss gears, that is what I would do.

some guys call the plastic idler gear, "the lawyer gear", they save the company from big lawsuits from a guy that chopped his finger off.
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: steelfish on January 20, 2016, 12:45:13 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on June 13, 2015, 04:04:01 PM
Plastic gears UGH!! >:( Just can't seam to get why they are used at all. If there is a way to upgrade to brass or ss gears, that is what I would do.

some guys call the plastic idler gear, "the lawyer gear", they save the company from big lawsuits from a guy that chopped his finger off.

In today's world. That's a fact.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."