5/13/24 Report

Started by Keta, May 14, 2024, 10:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bryan Young

I was hoping you guys were going to swing by San Jose on you way back. Next time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 17, 2024, 04:35:40 AMI was hoping you guys were going to swing by San Jose on you way back. Next time.

If I was driving I would have Bryan, Mike and Rick had 6 and 7 more hours to go to get home.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crab Pot

I was going to clone this version and paint it in glow white for my August 4 day.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

In my opinion lots of glow is not natural and plain jane Eddy Bombs support this.  a few small dots might be ok.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

If you can find a through wired sinker you won't need the safety leash to the treble hook.

Keta

Or just go with one or two assist hooks on top.

Mark Twain

pjstevko

Quote from: Keta on May 17, 2024, 10:08:55 PMOr just go with one or two assist hooks on top.

Thats the rigging most Captains I've fished with prefer.

They don't like trebles swinging around if the fish is hooked by the assist hooks.

Crab Pot

Quote from: pjstevko on May 17, 2024, 09:57:00 PMIf you can find a through wired sinker you won't need the safety leash to the treble hook.

I'd hate to lose the fish of a lifetime by trusting the factory wire.

Be it a assist hook or treble, it's cheap insurance to leash it.

In my opinion.

Top assist hooks obviously work too!

Thanks for posting the pic Lee,

Steve

Keta

Quote from: pjstevko on May 17, 2024, 11:23:06 PM
Quote from: Keta on May 17, 2024, 10:08:55 PMOr just go with one or two assist hooks on top.

Thats the rigging most Captains I've fished with prefer.

They don't like trebles swinging around if the fish is hooked by the assist hooks.

Yup, for some reason the deckhands do not like large hooks in their body parts.

When I was a deckhand on Oregon charter boats I hated diving plugs due to having to remove a hook or two from my hands.  Even a smallish albacore inhaled plugs so hooking was never a issue.  A BFT will  swallow a 16-24 ounce eddy bomb.

Mark Twain

pjstevko

Quote from: Crab Pot on May 17, 2024, 11:50:43 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on May 17, 2024, 09:57:00 PMIf you can find a through wired sinker you won't need the safety leash to the treble hook.

I'd hate to lose the fish of a lifetime by trusting the factory wire.

Be it a assist hook or treble, it's cheap insurance to leash it.

In my opinion.

Top assist hooks obviously work too!

Thanks for posting the pic Lee,

Steve

You don't have to trust the factory wire if you attach the assist hooks to a Ultra split ring to the solid ring on your bite leader....

Crab Pot

Quote from: pjstevko on May 18, 2024, 02:55:17 AMYou don't have to trust the factory wire if you attach the assist hooks to a Ultra split ring to the solid ring on your bite leader....

PJ

I was referring to directly snap ringing a hook to the weights bottom wire loop.

Steve

Keta

Through wired weights eliminate that it you must have hooks on the bottom.

Mark Twain

jgp12000

That cow will make alot of Sashimi ,Bet that was
Quite a battle Lee !

Keta

About 30 minutes on 80# gear.

Mark Twain