5/13/24 Report

Started by Keta, May 14, 2024, 10:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan, Gobi King, Jigtosser, Benni3, JonM and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jurelometer

As they used to say in SoCal:

Dude!!!
Sweet!!!

Nice job Lee.

-J

oldmanjoe

Nice fishing ,keep the young ones jealous of you ... :fish  :fish  :fish
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Keta

Quote from: Crab Pot on May 16, 2024, 03:20:02 AMTwo Cow Trip!

You Are Legend!

:al  :al 

So Jealous, Steve

I have had one 2 cow trip but it was a 2005 10 day and on yellow fin.  It was my first LR trip. I also caught my first wahoo on this trip,  87#.  This trip only one cow for me and the only one on the boat.   For most of my friends on this trip the 100-160 pound fish were the largest they ever caught and all had a great time.

We decided that driving further as tired as we were to stop west of you in Woodland at the home of one of the friends I went down with daughters house.  Damn, Woodland has changed in the last 54 years.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 16, 2024, 03:33:41 AMWow Lee, hope you brought a couple extra large coolers for your long drive home

A 1/2 tote, 2 large coolers, a large and small kill bag are filled with fish and ice. The "small" 100-150 pounders Mike and Rick got, more than 1 ea, also take up cooler space.

The other 3 BFT I caught were "tiny" 25-30 pound fish and among the few sub 100# fish caught.  We got 25-35 pound fish and 100-160 pound fish with the one 213# I got.

Eddy Bombs were the "bomb" on this trip, do not leave port without a few. They are low cost/high value.  A guess would be around or over 1/3 of the fish were caught on them with fewer than 1/4 of us using them.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

The Oregon crew can fish,

Mark Twain

Keta

On  reel note  there was 4 reel issues, one a easy fix, one of the loosest spooings I have ever seen  and crap arbor  knot, one not as easy but only a pinion bearing replacement and 2 new very high end reels (I will not name the manufacturer) that went to hell before even hooking a fish.  I did not work on these 2 reels and told the owner of them to send them to the manufacture with a "nice"  note.  In my opinion things occasionally  slip through but for the price of  these reels one would think they would have better QC.  My guess is a bit of metal shavings or crud in the shift mechanism that a more "sloppy" reel,  good  "slopy" as in not as tight of tollerances, would have still functioned with. These are not the first of their reels I have seen fail with little use. Tight tolerances are not a bad thing in most cases but at 100+ miles from port I would rather have a "family car" that you occasionaly change the oil in and drive than a drag racer you have to rebuild every time you go a 1/4 mile in.

Mark Twain

Crow

Great fish, and a great trip!!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

also had a couple of the shimano handles come loose.  gotta figure that one out.  it's the third one that i've heard about. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I am not big on indiscriminate use of loctite but a small dab of 242 (blue) on the screw would have prevented it from happening.  The screws are tiny and easy to strip so possably using a inch pound torque screwdriver would help.  I got one of the handles secured but the screw for the other got washed over the side. 

Mark Twain

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Keta on May 16, 2024, 11:42:34 AMTight tolerances are not a bad thing in most cases but at 100+ miles from port I would rather have a "family car" that you occasionaly change the oil in and drive than a drag racer you have to rebuild every time you go a 1/4 mile in.
Great analogy Lee!  I'm gonna steal that one. - john

Jim Fujitani

Your trip caught some nice big BFT.  A lot bigger than my PB of double digits.  I was always happy just taking home some BFT for sashimi to enjoy! 

Keta

Me too. I realy would rather see my friends that have never caught a cow do so but will not turn down the oppertunity to add another one to the ones I have caught.

Mark Twain

Crab Pot

Quote from: Keta on May 16, 2024, 11:16:26 AMWoodland has changed in the last 54 years.

Yep, it's not an AG town, well not as much of an AG town anymore.

Quote from: Keta on May 16, 2024, 11:26:20 AMEddy Bombs were the "bomb" on this trip

Can you post a picture or two of the bombs you used with details?

Enquiring minds want to know!

(and copy)  :d

Buy it nice or buy it twice.