Mixing 3-in-one motor oil with yamalube marine grease?

Started by cryone5, May 03, 2017, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cryone5

good day to all. I got a 14oz canister yamalube marine grease from a friend, but since it's not available here in the philippines, his extra canister which he bought I guess more than 5 years ago, was a bit damaged at the botom (a dent caused by dropping the can) and the tin/metal part of the container had the smallest holes at the corner of the dents, but enough to leak out its oily substance. I dont know how much oil was lost, and I'm thinking I could use it as it is or I could mix it with this 3-in-One (brand) motor oil that I bought at ace hardware. this was a variant of their all-purpose oil/lube, only specific to motor and engines (as stated in the label) and said to contain petroleum distillates.

given that yamalube marine grease has petroleum oil as base, is it logical to mix them both to get a thinner grease?

also, could I use this motor oil/lube on my reels?

this was all that was available to me right now. all the tackle shops are 2-4hr travel from my area, I plan to get the penn oil but for now, I plan to use this unless you tell me not to :) but for now my options are limited, it was either this 3-in-One motor oil/lube or the 3-in-One multi-purpose oil/lube or the Singer multi-purpose oil/lube

RowdyW

Have you tried using it. If it is thin enough for your use then you don't have to add anything to it. Of the choices of oils you gave either one will work but just mix up a portion till you can get the oil that you prefer like Reel X & then mix it in small batches.                Rudy

sdlehr

Greases are mixtures of soap and oil that are emulsions when made and shipped, but yours has separated back out into it's primary components. I would think you would need to add the oil back into the soap, a little bit at a time, mixing thoroughly as you go, until it is the proper consistency for your use. If you add too much oil your grease might not stay in place as long as it was originally designed to, but unless you take it swimming a few times you will probably be just fine.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

cryone5

that makes sense. I was just wondering if anything would happen with them chemically when I get to mix them. I'm just concerned that the potency of the marine protection of the grease will decrease if mixed.

I just transferred a bulk of the grease to a plastic container.
I will try a small batch first to see if I like the consistency. thanks rudy and sid!

Bryan Young

I have not tried 3 in one, but have tried CorrosionX with good results.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cryone5

foakes

Where is the PH?

Phillipines, Pan-Handle, Poland, Portugal, or?

Welcome, and we will help, if possible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cryone5

philippines :) sorry, I thought it was already generally known that PH stands for philippines when talking about area/region

bhale1

Cryone5,
If that's all you have available, go for it! Anything you mix up will be better protection than no great at all!
Brett
Edit.." better protection than no grease at all"....Since you said it wasn't hat you had available!
OMG... Spell check... Since you said it was all you had available!!
Gotta stop using my phone for responding ;D
Brett

cryone5

thanks brett! will get my hands on some better lube when I get the chance.

MarkT

PH is the ISO country code for the Philippines. Poland is PO, Portugal is PT and the Pan Handle(s) are the middle of no where.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

You are of course right, Mark --

My point was to let posters know that while abreviations may be accurate -- not everyone in a worldwide 24/7 forum format with all of the worlds languages -- know that.

Yes, we could all go to google to figure it out -- but folks just want to read a post, consider, and move on.

Instant clarity is key on the internet.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

QuoteInstant clarity is key on the internet.

It is there in cryone5's second sentence, although not capitalized.

Quotegood day to all. I got a 14oz canister yamalube marine grease from a friend, but since it's not available here in the philippines, his extra canister which he bought I guess more than 5 years ago,
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Sorry, Tommy --

I missed that.

Glad you caught it!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.