Looking for a surf casting rod

Started by RonRico, July 08, 2015, 12:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonRico

I'm considering this Ugly Stik for $75:

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-BWC1100120-Bigwater-Fishing-12-Feet/dp/B000ZPJO8E/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1432921476&sr=8-12&keywords=ugly+stik+baitcasting+rod

I know absolutely nothing about surf rods, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I know for sure is that I'm putting a Squidder 140 on it. So, would that Ugly Stik be a decent one? Or do y'all have any other suggestions?

Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

Capt Ahab

What type of surf fishing?  US is fine for bait tossing but about the worst for anything else - heavy and clunky and no sensitivity.

Where are you fishing and for what?>

Shark Hunter

That's an awful big Rod for a Squidder. I fish my 9500ss with one and its about right. Check out their tiger Rods. I think that's more toward what you need.
Life is Good!

RonRico

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm new to fishing in general, so please bear with me. There's a good chance I'll ask some stupid questions.  ;D

Most of my fishing will be on the east coast of Florida, but I'm not entirely sure what I'll be after. Whiting and redfish maybe?

Shark Hunter, I was looking at the Tiger rods at Wal-Mart recently, never even considered one for the Squidder. I was thinking that a 12' rod would be better for distance?
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

thorhammer

I had one of those and found the sweet spot (mid range of indicated lure weight, roughly) was a bit lighter than advertised for throwing heavy lead at OBX. However chunking bait with the squidder in the 4-5 ounce range you may may find the lighter tip forgiving in the cast mechanics and sensitive enough to see whiting bite.  If you need to throw heavier tica makes a good 12 for a hundred that is lighter and throws 6-8 and bait well.  Whiting and drum terminal tackle and bait size will differ quite a bit generally.

Shark Hunter

There is a Heavy and Extra Heavy version of that Bigwater Rod. I have the extra heavy. I'll be honest, I can't cast a conventional. I use a Kayak to get it out. My casting rods are all spinners. That's why I suggested the Tiger.
Life is Good!

Marcq

Looks like it got some good review but there's no information on that rod, lure weight? line rating? medium or heavy?  will never buy a rod without that information

Sometimes I don't understand rod makers ::)

Marc..

Shark Hunter

The heavy is 2-12. The extra heavy is 6-24 for lure weight.
The Line rating is 12 to 40 for the heavy and 15 to 50 for the Extra heavy.
I thought there was only the Extra heavy Version.
http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-casting-rods/1365039.html#start=2
Life is Good!

Marcq

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 08, 2015, 07:06:45 AM
The heavy is 2-12. The extra heavy is 6-24 for lure weight.
The Line rating is 12 to 40 for the heavy and 15 to 50 for the Extra heavy.
I thought there was only the Extra heavy Version.
http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-casting-rods/1365039.html#start=2

That's weird that they don't put that information even on their site unless I missed something

Marc..

CapeFish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 08, 2015, 02:44:00 AM
That's an awful big Rod for a Squidder. I fish my 9500ss with one and its about right. Check out their tiger Rods. I think that's more toward what you need.

I don't think so, you can easily use a 12 or 14ft rod and a 6oz with a squidder, it will work well, you will get excellent distance

theswimmer

Ron,
I surf fish and have for years in the Tybee island area  , all the way south to the Georgia/ Florida border.
You are going to be wading to get out very far and I find a 12 foot rod cumbersome when I am chest deep in the ocean, but I am 5'9" on a good day.
I have and use several Ugly Sticks for other applications and love the "Ford F-150" aspect of both however,
For the money I really like Tsunami surf rods, very well built and lighter as well as more sensitive than an UglyStick.
I have a couple of Tsunami surf rods and have really beat them and have no failures of any kind.
I do use a Squidder  ( Thanks Fred !) and a Jigmaster as well as spinners. If you want to pier fish try the pier off the north west corner of Jekyll Is.
Bring live ,fresh bait and hang on. That inner tidal area brings some big fish in.
You never know what you will catch.
I do have surf rods up to 15 feet I just don't use them much on the East coast.

http://www.amazon.com/Tsunami-TROPHY-Saltwater-Fishing-1002MH/dp/B001RDOZ14/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436365391&sr=8-3&keywords=tsunami+fishing+rod

Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

steelfish

tsunami are one of the best bang for the buck.

I have the tsunami airwave 9ft and can cast really far on 2oz and 3oz plus bait
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

I said tica after a few beers. I meant tsunami.  That's three votes. As Darron noted the weight specs are a mile wide on these so figger what you want to do.  About 12 years ago when Shakespeare ceased their blank program their very kind rep gave me cabelas 10000 pricing so I bought a bunch of Gutts Butt blanks.  I built a lot on the 12' blank cut fore and aft to to make 11' with a five ounce sweet spot.  Light for casting a plug all day, no.  With Fuji guides to chunk bait, indestructible. Just my .02. 

J

CapeFish

The rods in this video clip look like they may work well, what are they?