ABU 5000 A or B drag upgrades.

Started by callelk, July 01, 2015, 12:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callelk

Because the Ambassadeur 5000 reel is so versatile, they are my go-to reels for most of my freshwater fishing.

One of my uses of the 5000A & B models is for trolling for kokanee here in Idaho.  Kokanee have very soft mouths akin to the American shad that we used to catch on the Yuba River in Marysville in the days of old.  Limber poles, light lines and smooth drags are the rule when either longlining or downrigger fishing for this wonderful table fare.

That said, I am going to concentrate on the drive side of an Ambassadeur 5000 to enhance the drag and reduce the slop in the drive handle bushing.

What I will concentrate on for this upgrade.

The Brake Plate (5101) and its main components after a light brushing with blue grease and couple of drops of Reel X oil to the shaft.

Blue grease on the bottom of the Drive Shaft (5188) and then I installed the Anti-Reverse Dog (5134).

Drive Shaft (5188) and Anti-Reverse Dog (5134) installed.

Smooth drag washers and Cal's purple grease.  This is finesse fishing and we are looking for a jerk-free infinitely adjustable drag at low (1/8-3#) drag settings.  They say the acceptable Kokanee loss ratios is 3 loses to 1 boated.  To me that is unacceptable!  From March 2015 to July 2015 I have boated 86 fish and lost a total of 11.

Greased Drag Washer (3902) installed below the Drive Gear (5126).

A little Cal's purple grease on the underside of the Drive Gear (5126).

Drive Gear (5126) installed.  Note the small drag surface area inboard of the drag adjustment clicker spring.

Greased Drag Washer (3903) installed with a dab of Cal's purple grease on the clicker.

There were 2 different Click Wheels on the various 5000's.  The one on the left (5130) is for the drive gear that has the thinner width, inboard drag washer.  The one on the right (7078) was for a later model 5000/6000 with the outboard washer.  Note how close to the center drive shaft opening is in relation to the clicker holes on the right Click Wheel.  Regardless of which one you have, put it on a glass plate with oiled 600 grit emery cloth or finer to be sure you have the largest and flattest surface available for the drag surface.

The stock drive shaft bearing and drag adjustment components (5131, 3904, 5133, and 3915).

The non-stock drive shaft bearing and drag adjustment components in the order they will be installed.  Note the 2 thin Drag Shims (3915) ILO 1 shim and 1 Drag Washer (3904) and two Bellville Spring Washers (5131) ILO just 1.  Due to the thickness of the components, the Bellville Spring Washers (5131) will be installed ll and not lo  as shown to keep the stack from protruding above the shoulder that supports the handle.  This will eliminate any and all side-to-side slop from the crank as well has help the drag adjustment.

First though, remove the shields, clean and lube with blue grease.  You can use the Cal's purple but it's a little spendy for this application.  The bearing size is 8 X 13 X 4 mm, all stainless ABEC-7.

Everything in its place and ready to install the Right Side Plate (5138).

Right Side Plate (5138) secured.  Note, you will have to depress the Pinion Yoke (5118) to get the Brake Plate Assembly (5101) to seat correctly before completely tightening the 2 Bridge Screws (246).

Star Wheel  (8725) installed.  Tighten until snug, for now.

Friction Washer (5115) installed – note the orientation.

Handle and Handle Retaining Screw (5181) installed.  I am using an aftermarket handle that is 1/3 longer than stock giving me, in my mind, more control.  When you install the Handle Lock Nut (5182), do not fully tighten it until you have the reel together.

Check the grease on the spool and frame.  As this reel is used exclusively for trolling and it will never be used to cast pop gear, I remove the Brake Blocks (1844) so I do not lose them if I ever have to take the reel apart in the boat.     

Now tighten the Handle Lock Nut (5182) and loosen the drag.

Loaded with 12# test.

Kokanee are not leader shy so I run 12# to my gear and 10# leaders for spinners or hoochies. 

The 3rd week of June a Kokanee fisherman caught a 24# Chinook salmon while trolling on our local Kokanee lake and Mackinaw Trout prowl the depths as well so a little heaver main line is in order.  Make no mistake, a 24# landlocked salmon is a bit of a challenge on an 8' 4-8# rod.