Penn 9/0 question

Started by Cortez_Conversions, July 02, 2015, 02:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

I'm working on a kitted Accurate/Penn 9/0 and ran into an issue.
For cosmetic reasons I wanted to replace the chromed hardware and found that the new star wouldn't fit on the old sleeve.
I have had this happen before, so I swapped out the sleeve. No problem, right?
After reassembling the reel, I noticed there was considerable slop in the handle. I tore everything apart again and found the post on the bridge is a smaller diameter than what I've seen before.
It is .250 in diameter versus the .281 that I normally see. Now my question is this: Is this an original old bridge? There are no stamped part numbers on the bridge. As I mentioned, this has Accurate plates, so no way to see the original plates. I'm going to swap out the bridge regardless, but I don't want to throw away an old piece of Penn history. Does anyone know the year Penn changed the post diameter and if the plate is worth saving and passing on to a collector?
Thanks,
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

RowdyW

Tom, I don't know about the bridge post but the handle screw has a larger diameter on the later sleeves. Earlier sleeves had a smaller diameter screw.

RowdyW

With no part no. on the bridge it must be a very early bridge. All the ones I've seen have the part no. stamped on them.

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks Rowdy,
I just checked with Pennparts and that dates it to at least 1950!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Tightlines667

Sounds like it is likely a bridge from the 9/0 before the drags were made externally accessable, though I am not positive.  I think this happened ca. 1948 for the 9/0.  It is also possible (though less likely) that it is from the first run of reels with externally accessable drags, since these had a unique gearset in them.  I think the outter diameter of the gear sleeve, and inner dimensions of the handle arm have remained the same throughout this reel's history.   The inner diameter on my pre 1942 9/0 handle arm is 3/8" (flat to flat), and 7/16" (dia).  This is the same measurement as a modern 6/0&9/0 handle arm.  It might be interesting to see if your measurements differ, though I doubt it.  However, the handle retaining screw diameter changed around 1950.  This was likely also when the gear sleeve inner diameter changed on this reel as well.  If this can be confirmed (i.e. there are no non-numbered handle retainimg nuts that fit gear sleeves found on the older, non-numbered bridges, then one could simply note that the presence of a non-numbered handle retaining screw means it has an older sleeve, and likely an older bridge.  Of course the bridges were interchangable between first and secong ten configs so it could be found on newer reels.

Although your bridge and sleeve are old, and thus collectable, bear in mind that the 9/0 is probably one of the most common prewar Senators (or first gen config.), and your bridge is damaged.  I would keep the origional sleeve and bridge together.  I don't have an immediate use for your bridge, but I am starting to collect these reels, and would be willing to cover the shipping costs if you want to send it to me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Tom --

If you need a bridge, or bridge and sleeve -- I should have what you need.

Let me know if needed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.