help to take a spool bearing out from a Daiwa Sealine-x 40 SHV

Started by steelfish, July 06, 2015, 02:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

the right spool bearing retainer is a plastic tripod (well kind of)
so, everytime you take the spool out the bearing instead of stay on the frame it comes with the spool because the plastic bearing retainer is bit flimpsy.
but thats not that bad part, the really bad situation and where I need your help is the right spool bearingis stuck on the spool shaft, seems like its attached to the shaft.

I have tried WD-40, sprayed inox, corrosion x, and push it with a small flat screwdriver but no luck, the bearing its not toast, it spins freely but I dont know how good it would be once casting 3-4oz lures, I want to take it out and install a new bearing there, but I cannot take it out

any help?

as you can see in this last pic, the bearing retainer is attached to the spool with the bearing

I dont wanted to apply more force with the screw driver for dont bind the spool lipo or break the retainer

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

From the looks of the outer race of the bearing, it appears that the bearing is rusted to the spool shaft.  If you want to get it out, I would use 2 screw drivers on opposing sides under the bearing and rotate the screw drivers in the same direction.  You may crack the retainer though, but that will happen if you need to take the bearing out and it won't budge.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Well, if the retainer have to go is ok.
But I wanted to save it to dont have to make an extra order but anyway.

So do you think the bearing will go free without damaging the spool?
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

if you use the opposing screwdriver technique, it should not damage the spool. 

I've been thinking about the bearing retainer, and I don't believe that if the retainer goes away, the reel should function perfectly fine.  You have to be sure that it's on your spool and seated well on the spool and the sideplate before tightening down on the left sideplate.

Unfortunately, I only have SLOSHs and no SHVs to confirm my hunch.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

sounds good, I was actually also thinking the retainer should not be that important for the spool to spin freely.

I try it tonight and I'll let you know how it went.

thanks
The Baja Guy