Drag Upgrades

Started by Sandbar33, January 14, 2011, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandbar33

Ok guys...got another ? (lol). Regarding drag upgrades to carbontex washers on my abu garcia 6500's would it make any difference if I just swapped out 2 of the existing drag washers instead of all 4? I was thinking maybe leave the bottom washer as is then go with a carbontex washer followed by the existing washer then topped off with carbontex. Thinking about cost here and just wondering if it is really essential to replace all 4 for improved performance.

Thanks again!

I am loving this new hobby and this site has been a blessing in disguise with the wealth of knowledge you folks so willingly share!

Bryan Young

I would replace all 4 washers.  The cost is not substantial unless you are upgrading a whole bunch of reels.  My though is I would rather fish with 1 good, reel with known smooth drags versus 3 reels with questionable drags.  Then upgrade each reel as funds become available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

snowy

Definitely replace all the washers for best results and grease them with Cal's. If you leave in any of the old washers you still get a certain amount of "stick" at drag start up and you won't be able to use drag grease as it will not go well with the old fibre washers.

alantani

yeah, it's best to replace them all. :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!