Avet MXL 5.8 Drive Shaft

Started by jjpilav23, June 17, 2015, 12:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjpilav23

So i have recently taught myself how to service all of my Avets . But, I have a problem that I do not know how to fix, at all.
I took apart my single speed MXL's handle assembly and drive shaft, and even removed the main gear from the shaft. Now, I can not figure out how to re-install the main drive gear onto the shaft. The friction washer and ring are fitting onto the drive shaft just fine, but I can not fit the gear onto the drive shaft if my life depended on it. I began by just trying to push it into place, then even tried a hammer, and I can not figure out how to push it into place.
Has anyone experienced this before? Please let me know what you think, or if there is perhaps a link you can direct me to that will have some more information on this.
Thanks Guys,
-Aren 

Bryan Young

I cannot seem to find a link that actually has a complete tutorial.  How did we miss this series of reels?  I don't have one in service at the moment to take photos.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Here is a link to a service of your reel.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13735.0

The gear should slide right off the shaft and back on with no problem though.

Bryan Young

Thank you SoCalAngler.  I just stickied that topic.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jjpilav23

Yes, I was assuming that it should just slide into place. But, it is for some reason not fitting into the hole in the gear. I am going to go to Avet tomorrow morning. I will let you know what we come up with.
Thanks,
-Aren

jjpilav23

So I took it to Avet... And of course, they had it fixed in 10 minutes. Best customer service.

So in some of the models, the main gear has been cut rectangularly(rather than square). This makes it an extremely tight fit, which is why I could not slide it onto the shaft so easily... So, they used a machine (not sure what kind) to force it into place. Once they did that, it is as good as new.

Also, a piece of advice from the guys at Avet: There is no need to remove the main gear from the shaft UNLESS that plastic washer has been damaged in some way, and needs to be replaced. Just keep the teeth greased. That whole system is stainless steel, so the corrosion that takes place in-between the drive-shaft head and main gear can be ignored (in most cases).

Thank You Avet,
-Aren