Reel Questions

Started by DFT, April 11, 2015, 03:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFT

I want to get a two speed reel to fish tuna or yellowtail with 30# test line.  Any suggestions.  I am considering Talica 10 II, MK 8 II and Avet MJX but do not know their performance history.  Thoughts?

SoCalAngler

With 30 lb line you will be maxing out the MXJ unless you go with a Raptor. IMO with 30 lb line a two speed is not needed but if your going that way, for bang for the buck you may also want to check out a Penn Fathom LD two speed or of you have deep pockets a Penn Torque. If your spectra backing the reel somthing like a 25N size would be nice.

DFT

Thanks for your suggestions SoCalAngler.  The reason for a two speed reel is that I am 61 year and I need all the help I can get to land a tuna/yellowtail understanding there are many 60+ year old anglers out there still strong and tough.

SoCalAngler

I fully understand why a two speed would be good for you, I'm glad your still out slaying fish. You say you want to catch tuna and tails so I assume your close to So Cal, right? If so there many tackle shops where you could play around with all the reels your looking at so you can select the correct reel for you.

I only have one hot rodded TLD 30II so I can't help with the Talica 10 but I have played around with the MK 8 alot which are nice reels built like a tank. The MK being built so rugged also means it's a little on the heavy side, not bad but still IMO a little heavy in weight for a 30 lb test reel.

DFT

I reside in Southern California, you are correct.  The TLD 30 II is a good reel and I still got mine.  Fishing equipment has evolved so much over the years it is difficult to catch up, from 9/0 with Dacron line to small reel spooled with spectra, it is just amazing.  I am going to add a MK 8 II Special Edition to my collection.  It is something nice to have.  Thanks again for your comment.  I will try to get on one of Alan's trip next year.

MarkT

I've got a Fathom 25n 2spd and highly recommend it. I've got 50# spectra with a topshot of 40# and have been yoyoing with it. I have an Avet SX Raptor I use with 50# spectra and a 30# topshot that I really like too. I'm 59 later this month.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: DFT on April 12, 2015, 01:37:00 AM
I reside in Southern California, you are correct.  The TLD 30 II is a good reel and I still got mine.  Fishing equipment has evolved so much over the years it is difficult to catch up, from 9/0 with Dacron line to small reel spooled with spectra, it is just amazing.  I am going to add a MK 8 II Special Edition to my collection.  It is something nice to have.  Thanks again for your comment.  I will try to get on one of Alan's trip next year.

Wow nice reel to get, I wish I had one but I have too many other reels to fish now. Okuma hit it right when they came out with the MK line and even better when they added the SE reels for our Southern California style of fishing. I'm sure you will enjoy it and if you don't I know someone who would love to buy a slightly used SE 8.... ;)

DFT

Thanks MarkT and haha...SoCalAngler, you are funny.  The only draw back is that the MKs do not have  as fast the retrival speed as the Talicas and Avet swhen throwing jigs. 

SoCalAngler

Yeah it is a little on the slow side but not by much with 33.5" per crank in high gear. It will fish the surface iron fine and for the yoyo iron you will may have to crank a little faster than other reels.

otghoyt

Olds Cool!!  Fast gearing and an adjustable leverage crank arm for my tuna.  I be po an ignorant but my old uni-speed Penns get it done!  I'll be 59 in November and had several back operations.  No bucket list Big Eye for me.  Thirty pounders all day long please