Collectable Big Game Fishing Rods

Started by Tightlines667, June 29, 2015, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Sal,

Thanks for sharing here.  I love those old Fenwick big game rods.  Those 2 with the wooden butts stand out.  I bet they have still got good backbone.  These guys were built to last.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

John, those have never been used. The second from the left is the only one that has been used, but still in great shape.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

There are some fine rods here. I kind of like the classics along with modern tackle and felt it would be interesting to post some Tycoon Tackle info. The next two scans have to be credited to the great book, The Tycoon Tackle Story by Timothy P. O'Brien, son of Tycoon Tackle founder, Frank O'Brien Jr.

These rods are probably the most coveted wood fishing rods ever made.

There is some big time name dropping in the next collection.

In the world of wood fishing rods, there are classic makers. In England, there was Hardy and in the USA there Edward vom Hofe and then Tycoon. Many others also made high quality rods, Montague being one that comes to mind. Vintage wood rods are a great side bar to add to a collection of fishing reels. What better way to display a classic reel than by mounting it to a classic rod.

My favorite photo of fishing history is the cover sleeve photo of Chisie Farrington's only book, walking the beach with her Tycoon Surf rod (considered by me to be the best surf rod ever made) slung over her shoulder. Mounted to the rod is a Penn Squidder (considered by me to be the best surf reel ever made) This kind of stuff gives me Goosebumps.

UKChris

Thank you for the pictures of those lovely wooden rods!
I've seen some of the older Hardy rods in the flesh, in the Hardy museum Alnwick, Northumberland. If you are in the UK, try to call in! But seeing those US classics is a treat.

Tightlines667

Quote from: UKChris on July 11, 2015, 04:56:40 PM
Thank you for the pictures of those lovely wooden rods!
I've seen some of the older Hardy rods in the flesh, in the Hardy museum Alnwick, Northumberland. If you are in the UK, try to call in! But seeing those US classics is a treat.

Wow, I was in Northumbeland once, and somehow neglected to pay this place a visit.  Here is a link to their site...

http://66.51.163.9/fishing/collection/index.cfm/hierarchy/1/depth/4/finalLevel/4/category/7/level1/Great%20Britain%20%26%20Europe/level2/England/level3/Hardy/item/M001845/

and a photo.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Ran accross these cool items at the Hickam Harbor boatyard this morning and thought I'd share.  The rod is an early Calcutta bamboo big game.  It is paired with a post-war second gen 10/0 reel.  There are some old big game lures hanging on the wall along with the rod and reel.  When I expressed my interest in these old items, the proprietor pulled this pin-up style resin-head out of a drawer*.  He explained to me that the lure was made locally just after the war.  Pretty cool given this boatyard is on the base that was attacked at Pearl Harbor.

*Alan and admins... I hope this lure head doesn't break the 12 year old rule.  Feel free to pull it if you deem it appropriate.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

Great stuff, that lure is priceless and a great example of the World War II soldiers thoughts. Funny thing about the old "Cheescake" photos, by today's standard they are not so bad.

Tightlines667

So, I made a trip back to the Hickam Harbor boatyard yeasterday, and managed to buy the displayed 10/0 and bamboo big game rod combo.  The owner staed this combo has been displayed in the boathouse at the entrance to Pearl Harbor since the early 1960s.  He said the rod and reel were being actively fished for marlin and  tuna out of Pearl Harbor from just after the war until being retired in the early 1960s.  He believes the rod is a 'Calcutta'.  

I am wondering if it was manufactured by Calcutta, or is simply a bamboo, hardwood, and Calcutta reed blank manufactured by someone else.  I would appreciate any info or thoughts on the make, model, and history of the rod.  I am guessing by the build style that it is circa the mid to late 1930s.

I attached a few pictures of the big game trolling rod that came with the 10/0 reel.  The rod is one piece, has no visable markings of any kind, has 5 ringed guides, is 85.5" total length, 64" to the seat, has gold and burgundy thread guide wraps, black rod wraps, and brown (linen/rope) forearm wraps.  The squared rod, appears to be wood core, bamboo, calcutta reed construction.  I was told this was a 'Calcutta' rod.  

Is there any possibility it was manufactured by Frank O'Brien?  It is missing the gimbal, has a damaged tip-top guide, and the varnish/coating is showing significant wear in places.  I wonder what the value of the rod might be as well?   I may have to pick up the Tycoon tackle book, the antique fishing rod book, and may contact the Catalina Fishing Club to see if they have any resources available.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

A few more pics..
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo, I made a trip back to the Hickam Harbor boatyard yeasterday, and managed to buy the displayed 10/0 and bamboo big game rod combo.  The owner staed this combo has been displayed in the boathouse at the entrance to Pearl Harbor since the early 1960s.  He said the rod and reel were being actively fished for marlin and  tuna out of Pearl Harbor from just after the war until being retired in the early 1960s.  He believes the rod is a 'Calcutta'. 

I am wondering if it was manufactured by Calcutta, or is simply a bamboo, hardwood, and Calcutta reed blank manufactured by someone else.  I would appreciate any info or thoughts on the make, model, and history of the rod.  I am guessing by the build style that it is circa the mid to late 1930s.

I attached a few pictures of the big game trolling rod that came with the 10/0 reel.  The rod is one piece, has no visable markings of any kind, has 5 ringed guides, is 85.5" total length, 64" to the seat, has gold and burgundy thread guide wraps, black rod wraps, and brown (linen/rope) forearm wraps.  The squared rod, appears to be wood core, bamboo, calcutta reed construction.  I was told this was a 'Calcutta' rod. 

Is there any possibility it was manufactured by Frank O'Brien?  It is missing the gimbal, has a damaged tip-top guide, and the varnish/coating is showing significant wear in places.  I wonder what the value of the rod might be as well?   I may have to pick up the Tycoon tackle book, the antique fishing rod book, and may contact the Catalina Fishing Club to see if they have any resources available.

John,

I went through the Tycoon Tackle book and could find no reference to the rod you have. It is a mystery to me.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 10, 2015, 05:18:10 AM
QuoteSo, I made a trip back to the Hickam Harbor boatyard yeasterday, and managed to buy the displayed 10/0 and bamboo big game rod combo.  The owner staed this combo has been displayed in the boathouse at the entrance to Pearl Harbor since the early 1960s.  He said the rod and reel were being actively fished for marlin and  tuna out of Pearl Harbor from just after the war until being retired in the early 1960s.  He believes the rod is a 'Calcutta'. 

I am wondering if it was manufactured by Calcutta, or is simply a bamboo, hardwood, and Calcutta reed blank manufactured by someone else.  I would appreciate any info or thoughts on the make, model, and history of the rod.  I am guessing by the build style that it is circa the mid to late 1930s.

I attached a few pictures of the big game trolling rod that came with the 10/0 reel.  The rod is one piece, has no visable markings of any kind, has 5 ringed guides, is 85.5" total length, 64" to the seat, has gold and burgundy thread guide wraps, black rod wraps, and brown (linen/rope) forearm wraps.  The squared rod, appears to be wood core, bamboo, calcutta reed construction.  I was told this was a 'Calcutta' rod. 

Is there any possibility it was manufactured by Frank O'Brien?  It is missing the gimbal, has a damaged tip-top guide, and the varnish/coating is showing significant wear in places.  I wonder what the value of the rod might be as well?   I may have to pick up the Tycoon tackle book, the antique fishing rod book, and may contact the Catalina Fishing Club to see if they have any resources available.

John,

I went through the Tycoon Tackle book and could find no reference to the rod you have. It is a mystery to me.

Thank you for checking Mike.  It is not likely a Tycoon, unless it was an early prototype or something.  It may have been a Southern CA produced Calcutta, or possibly a Japaneese bamboo.  I don't believe there were too many companies producing big game rods in the 1920s and 30s, but what do I know?  Further research is needed.  Lack of markings may make pinning it down difficult.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

Thank you for checking Mike.  It is not likely a Tycoon, unless it was an early prototype or something.  It may have been a Southern CA produced Calcutta, or possibly a Japaneese bamboo.  I don't believe there were too many companies producing big game rods in the 1920s and 30s, but what do I know?  Further research is needed.  Lack of markings may make pinning it down difficult.

Posted on: Today at 09:18:10 PM
Posted by: Penn Chronology 

Big Game fishing in the 1920's and 30's was a sport of the wealthy. Companies like Tycoon, Hardy and Edward vom Hofe all built big game rods catering to the deep pockets crowd. Montague built them for us working class folks, to a degree. I am sure there are other makers that built the heavy old rods. That is a study in itself. Most of the pre-fiberglass rods were split bamboo or solid hickory, Tycoon brought it to a higher level.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 09, 2015, 09:59:34 PM
So, I made a trip back to the Hickam Harbor boatyard yeasterday, and managed to buy the displayed 10/0 and bamboo big game rod combo.  The owner staed this combo has been displayed in the boathouse at the entrance to Pearl Harbor since the early 1960s.  He said the rod and reel were being actively fished for marlin and  tuna out of Pearl Harbor from just after the war until being retired in the early 1960s.  He believes the rod is a 'Calcutta'.  

I am wondering if it was manufactured by Calcutta, or is simply a bamboo, hardwood, and Calcutta reed blank manufactured by someone else.  I would appreciate any info or thoughts on the make, model, and history of the rod.  I am guessing by the build style that it is circa the mid to late 1930s.

I attached a few pictures of the big game trolling rod that came with the 10/0 reel.  The rod is one piece, has no visable markings of any kind, has 5 ringed guides, is 85.5" total length, 64" to the seat, has gold and burgundy thread guide wraps, black rod wraps, and brown (linen/rope) forearm wraps.  The squared rod, appears to be wood core, bamboo, calcutta reed construction.  I was told this was a 'Calcutta' rod.  

Is there any possibility it was manufactured by Frank O'Brien?  It is missing the gimbal, has a damaged tip-top guide, and the varnish/coating is showing significant wear in places.  I wonder what the value of the rod might be as well?   I may have to pick up the Tycoon tackle book, the antique fishing rod book, and may contact the Catalina Fishing Club to see if they have any resources available.

I stopped by Waipahu Bicycle & Sporting goods store yesterday afternoon, and inadvertently stumpled upon some more information as to the origin of this fishing pole.  

I had a long conversation with Keith, one of the owners.  This store has a rich history, and has been a specialty fishing supply store since 1923.  Keith is an avid collector of early history related to his family and the store, and shared his impressive collection of prewar boat & shore rods, and prewar Pflueger reels with me.  I was particuarily impressed with his collection of Atlapacs, which were very popular here in HI.  

He also related that he still enjoys fishing with old prewar custom rods and reels.  He recently took first place in a large casting competition while pitting his old heavy Pflueger Templar paired with an early custom slide-bait rod, against a field of modern, lightweight rods, and hot-rodded reels.  He also has a bunch of really cool fishing photos from way back in the day.

Anyways, I spied a rod that looked identical, save the color of the guide wrappings, to the rod I aquire at Hickam.  When queried further, he related that these rods were the local industry standard for Big Game Fishing here in HI from the 1920s, through the war.  I was surprised to learn that they were customs that had been hand made by a family living at Kalaupapa (The Lepor Colony) on Molokai.  This family began making this style big game boat rod sometime in the 1920s, and provided many of the local fishermen throughout the islands with rods for a variety of styles of fishing throughout the early part of the century (at least into the 1950s).  Rod components and materials were imported from Southern CA.  They and others also manufactured shore fishing rods from locally available bamboo, which required a special seasoning process, since it had less inherent strength then some of the thicker walled varieties available from other locales.  He had several examples of some of these early Hawaiian bamboo rods.  

I would love to learn more about the history of rod building at Kalaupapa, and am proud to be an owner of a piece of this valuable local history.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology