Collectable Big Game Fishing Rods

Started by Tightlines667, June 29, 2015, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Looks like the mailman paid me a visit while I was out hunting...

Can't wait to learn a bit more, get some period-correct materials, and try my first bamboo rod restoration, a Montague 'Gulf' boat rod...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291685869844
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Fisherman Paul

When i fished the boat many years ago for skate i owed a very
rare one piece stand up ugly stick rod (sadly sold years ago)
teamed with a penn 114h (also sold).

Rod well up to my PB skate 156lb, we fished 50lb braid
and also fished for spurdog PB 13lb 8oz.

Great skipper knew his job and the marks, great memory's.

RowdyW

When is rare really rare? When is something scarce really scarce? Who does the rating? If I have one of a few that I know of does that make it rare or scarce? Can I set the standard? I guess so because so many people claim what they have or had is rare so I guess I can set the standard. ???

thinkwahoo

With fire arms there's publications out there showing the relative value, but to my knowledge there's never been anything published for fishing equipment.  Would love to see someone put forth the effort to document values, but have a suspicion it would be a monumental task.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhen is rare really rare? When is something scarce really scarce? Who does the rating? If I have one of a few that I know of does that make it rare or scarce? Can I set the standard? I guess so because so many people claim what they have or had is rare so I guess I can set the standard. Huh?

People get very loose with the word, "Rare". In the world of Penn reels there are rare models. The Model F and K's are rare. Only approximately 1000 documented models were made in 1932. Of those models most were distributed all over the country and some were sold in the 1933 model year. There are other models that are also rare, like the 1933 Bay Side and the 1934 Ocean Side . I could name a few more; but, I think you get the idea. When something is truly Rare, there is no doubt about it. Calling hard to find items rare is simply fantasy or a seller tactic to fool the easily fooled.

Patudo

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 24, 2015, 06:14:18 AM
There are some old big game lures hanging on the wall along with the rod and reel.  When I expressed my interest in these old items, the proprietor pulled this pin-up style resin-head out of a drawer*. 

This is off track somewhat but I couldn't but notice the big old scoop faced lures in the photo below.  In their own way they hark back to that old era as well.  I'd love to have a closer look at them to check out the details. 

RowdyW

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 07, 2016, 06:04:50 AM
QuoteWhen is rare really rare? When is something scarce really scarce? Who does the rating? If I have one of a few that I know of does that make it rare or scarce? Can I set the standard? I guess so because so many people claim what they have or had is rare so I guess I can set the standard. Huh?

When something is truly Rare, there is no doubt about it. Calling hard to find items rare is simply fantasy or a seller tactic to fool the easily fooled.
I agree 100%. It's fantasy for instance to try to pawn off on the public a common Penn 113H as rare or vintage. It's just like P. T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute".

Tightlines667

Quote from: Patudo on March 07, 2016, 09:14:37 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 24, 2015, 06:14:18 AM
There are some old big game lures hanging on the wall along with the rod and reel.  When I expressed my interest in these old items, the proprietor pulled this pin-up style resin-head out of a drawer*. 

This is off track somewhat but I couldn't but notice the big old scoop faced lures in the photo below.  In their own way they hark back to that old era as well.  I'd love to have a closer look at them to check out the details. 

The lures use heads of similar design as today'so modern lures, except that they tend to be much lighter, and are made of slightly different (inferior?) resin.  Some heads were made of she'll or bone.  The skirts were often made of leather, feathers or later on vinyl.  The Blue Marlin baits were typically smaller then modern ones, and designed to be trolled slower (like 4-5.5knots) since most boats were slower.  HawaiI was somewhat of a pioneer in te use of artificialstronger for Marlin.  It is my understanding that most boats fished dead or live bait for billfish in the early days.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Got my Montague 'Gulf' saltwater split bamboo boat rod with double agate guides today.  I think the tip top had been replaced at some point, and the male ferrule has a crack.  It is wrapped in yelow (no.4?) Silk.  I decided to just clean it up a bit since it is still in pretty good condition.  Should make a good 'wall hanger'.
Hope springs eternal

thorhammer

nice, John! what kind of motor is on there, an OC?

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Have a look at this interesting article regarding vintage rods...

Hope springs eternal

Marcq

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 09, 2016, 06:19:28 AM
Got my Montague 'Gulf' saltwater split bamboo boat rod with double agate guides today.  I think the tip top had been replaced at some point, and the male ferrule has a crack.  It is wrapped in yelow (no.4?) Silk.  I decided to just clean it up a bit since it is still in pretty good condition.  Should make a good 'wall hanger'.

Always wondered, what is the purpose of the two guides opposite to each other?

Marc.. 

Penn Chronology

QuoteAlways wondered, what is the purpose of the two guides opposite to each other?

Notice with the two piece rod, the back to back guides are always on the tip. Wood rods have a tendency to take a set. By mounting two guides opposite each other, you can flip the rod tip every time you use it. This always puts the force in the opposite direction, making a set less likely to happen.

Marcq

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 19, 2016, 09:38:56 PM
QuoteAlways wondered, what is the purpose of the two guides opposite to each other?

Notice with the two piece rod, the back to back guides are always on the tip. Wood rods have a tendency to take a set. By mounting two guides opposite each other, you can flip the rod tip every time you use it. This always puts the force in the opposite direction, making a set less likely to happen.

Cool!!  8)
Learn some everyday

Thanks, Marc..