Collectable Big Game Fishing Rods

Started by Tightlines667, June 29, 2015, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: Marcq on April 19, 2016, 10:44:14 PM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 19, 2016, 09:38:56 PM
QuoteAlways wondered, what is the purpose of the two guides opposite to each other?

Notice with the two piece rod, the back to back guides are always on the tip. Wood rods have a tendency to take a set. By mounting two guides opposite each other, you can flip the rod tip every time you use it. This always puts the force in the opposite direction, making a set less likely to happen.

Cool!!  8)
Learn some everyday

Oops, but looking at the rod again the two guides facing are not at the tip  ???
Thanks, Marc..

As I stated above, I think this is the incorrect Tip for the rod.  They typically have a tip top that extends straight out from the tip so the line can enter it from the top or the bottom.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cbar45

Yes, Mike is referring to the double-faced guide being on the top half of the two-piece rod as opposed to bottom, where the fixed reel seat would hinder adjustment.

I also agree with John that the tip-top on this rod may have been replaced at some point.

Apparently the tip-top adhesive would have to be heated, and the tip-top turned around and re-glued, in accord with whichever double-faced guide ring is being used.

That wasn't the case with the original tip-tops that were paired with double-facing guides.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAs I stated above, I think this is the incorrect Tip for the rod.  They typically have a tip top that extends straight out from the tip so the line can enter it from the top or the bottom.

No doubt that whoever replaced the tip, was not aware of what type of rod tip should be used. I believe they call these Tunnel Tips. They can be used from either side of the rod.

Here is a correctly built Split cane rod with a tunnel tip;

These tips are kind of hard to come by in today's world;

Dominick

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 24, 2015, 01:14:25 PM
Great stuff, that lure is priceless and a great example of the World War II soldiers thoughts. Funny thing about the old "Cheescake" photos, by today's standard they are not so bad.
Today there are no standards.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marcq

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 20, 2016, 06:56:27 PM
QuoteAs I stated above, I think this is the incorrect Tip for the rod.  They typically have a tip top that extends straight out from the tip so the line can enter it from the top or the bottom.

No doubt that whoever replaced the tip, was not aware of what type of rod tip should be used. I believe they call these Tunnel Tips. They can be used from either side of the rod.

Here is a correctly built Split cane rod with a tunnel tip;

These tips are kind of hard to come by in today's world;

Ha!! Makes sense now, it was at that time a great idea  8)
Thanks, Marc..

Penn Chronology

Marcq

Penn Chronology

fishgrain

QuoteFunny thing about big game fishing. I love it and have never had the money to actually do too much of it. Much gear has passed through my hands on its way to buyers with deeper pockets than me.

i feel your pain

George4741

I've been shopping for an old split bamboo salt water rod and notice how many of them have only 2 guides, including the tip.  Why is that?  Don't more guides distribute the stress more evenly throughout the length of the rod and allow it to handle heavier fish? 
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteI've been shopping for an old split bamboo salt water rod and notice how many of them have only 2 guides, including the tip.  Why is that?  Don't more guides distribute the stress more evenly throughout the length of the rod and allow it to handle heavier fish? 

Back when those old split can rods were built, the science was simple, the tackle was slower. The big game rods usually had four or five guides but inexpensive boat rods and surf rods were usually made with two guides and tip. I have ten foot split cane surf rod with only two guides, Somehow they worked.

oc1

Those vintage rods with hardly any guides surprised me too.  If you put a bend in one it just screams for more guides to distribute the stress and get the line up off the rod.  The thinking of the day was that guides cause friction and more guides cause more friction.  The rod designs were limited by the available materials (bamboo, hardwood, steel).  Also, rod design was strongly influenced by the natural fiber lines being used (twisted cotton, twisted linen, braided linen and braided silk).

Natural fiber lines are not nearly as slick as any synthetic line (dacron, nylon, spectra, mono, floro).  The natural fiber lines soak up a lot of water, get fuzzy quickly, get limp quickly and tend to cling to everything.  Maybe they cling for same reason that a wet tee shirts clings.  I don't know.  But when casting a natural fiber line you can feel the line hanging up on every guide.

The line manufacturers would try to polish and waterproof their line.  I suspect it was flame polished and stretched to get a smooth finish and but have no idea what the coating was.  Whatever the process, it did not work very well at all.  The first few casts feel great and then the line gets soggy and everything slows down.

Plastics really did revolutionize fishing gear for the better.  It's hard to appreciate the difference until you try to fish with equipment made without any synthetics and petrochemicals.
-steve

George4741

Michael and Steve, thanks for your insight.  What you say makes sense.  I'm looking for one to display with a vintage reel.  I doubt I'll ever fish with one.
viurem lliures o morirem

The Great Maudu

Here are a few from my collection. I love the old split bamboo rods and the various ways they were configured with various guides, ferrules, tip tops, reel seats and handles. I fish with most of these. This stuff is still up to its intended purpose. One thing though ... never enough credit is given to the inventor of the power handle. Bringing in a hard fighting fish is tough on the hand when all you have is a little wooden knob.

Legal Bill

I was invited to cross post this here.

I recently came into a small cache of older equipment that caused me to do some research on the Montague City Rod and Reel Company.  Being from Massachusetts, I found the back-story fascinating.  I had no idea that the "worlds largest manufacturer of fishing equipment" was once located in Massachusetts.  I thought some of you may interested in these links to the Montague sites and web pages that I found that address the company and its equipment:

https://www.montaguerodandreel.com/

http://antiquerodandreels.com/mfg_m/montague.html

http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2013/11/letterheadings-montague-rod-reel-co-by.html

https://luresnreels.com/montague.html