pulling the shields

Started by boo, September 05, 2015, 06:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boo

Probably a stupid question, but when pulling the shields of bearings, do you pull both sides or just one?

Dominick

Boo stupid questions are usually easy to answer.  :D (just joking) But in this case it opened up more questions.  Are you going to put the shields back?  Are they replaceable or will you destroy them when they are removed?  Are they spool bearings? Do you have a bearing packer?  What kind of reel?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

boo,
Alan did a thorough post on bearings. I recently read the whole thing and learned quite a bit.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 05, 2015, 06:50:38 PM
boo,
Alan did a thorough post on bearings. I recently read the whole thing and learned quite a bit.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
Boo Daron is right.  That thread will also answer the questions.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

boo

I am not planning to re- install the shields, just trying to get the best freespool from a Newell 220.  So, I am just going to work on the spool bearings.  I just went thru the bearing tutorial, and I did not see any reference to pulling one or both shields, just to open them up.  Sorry for bieng difficult....

bluefish69

Boo

I have many Newell's & all bearing have just 1 side removed. I do not grease the bearing. I just use either Reel X or TSI 321.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Boo there you go.  Follow Mike's advice.  Dominick

boo

Thanks guys. will follow the sage advice!

bluefish69

I have spare Bearing in a small jar covered with the Shield removed soaking in TSI321 just waiting to be used.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.