Penn 12 VSX

Started by Rivverrat, June 30, 2015, 03:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

This is a rare reel here in these parts. But I ran into one for a good price. My question is where is the sweet spot regarding line class for this reel?  I'm fully aware of what the specs say. But is 60 lb. line pushing this reel?....Jeff 

alantani

i have one.  great reel.  i have mine rigged with 80# hollow core spectra and a 60# topshot with 20 pounds of drag.  great reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Now, that is a reel that can fish heavy drag all day.  ;)

Great pick up.

coastal_dan

You could always get it blueprinted if you want to fish a heavier line/drag.  Neat piece!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Rivverrat

Thanks guys,  Dan I think it is really cool this reel can be hopped up for more drag performance. Something I will do later. I wish to know more about this! So speak more about this. What are the limitations when doing this?
But right now I'm needing reels that can fish 20 - 25lbs. of drag all the time with out fail. With 20 being just fine.   While this reel is heavier than what I would prefer the price is such I cannot pass it up. I am also now convinced it will for my purposes do what any Makiara would & best of all it's made here.

Every time I get replies to my questions here I am over flowing with joy that I am not alone in my sickness......I have to admit sometimes it's not funny  ;D

Just picked this up less than 1/2 an hour ago.....HELP! I CANT STOP!
I even went against some ones advice here regarding this reel, whom I trust, being John who replied here in  this thread....But it was so shiny, so smooth, it's size...it's weight... It's price....OH MY GAWD!....  it's specs screamed " THIS MIGHT BE THE REEL "  I was completely with out any restraint. Charkbait claims some are loading it & fishing this reel with 80 they said 20 lbs of drag  no problem.  Several at Okuma told me...No... I made them swear short of an oath to me that it would do what I wanted with out issue. Having had so many reels in my past not meet my expectations or their claimed specs....WE SHALL SEE :-\......OH Lord how did I get this old & this sickness stay with me.....I NEED HELP!

I'll try to put together a breakdown & tutorial on it tonight since I dont have work that needs doing tomorrow.