Help BX 400 or Release SG

Started by Rivverrat, April 08, 2015, 05:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I asked this once all ready but here goes again.
I'm wanting a left hand reel. Price is not that big of a deal. Reel will be used for casting & live bait. Will not see salt water. I have narrowed my choice between the Accurate 400 & Release sg.
I am tired of buying reels that don't match their stated claims.Honesty for some reason does not seem to carry the merit it did at one time. Neither is it to be expected from most that are selling anything today. Of course if you even hint to those that produce the the stuff we use that they are being dishonest they will quickly tell you their reels produce the specs stated. But how many fish a reel regularly with a 1/2 filled spool? Or enjoy replacing bearings regularly after fishing a reel at the stated specs?  
If Penn offered their little Fathom lever drag 15 in a left hand version I wouldn't be asking about these 2. At this time there is no better lever drag reel for the money than the Fathoms..... period!
A reel that meets & exceeds its claims with out side load, @ full spool, with great bearing life.... WOW!  

Any way....Will either of these 2 reels produce 20 lbs. of drag with ZERO side load. I have no intention of fishing the reel at that drag level all the time. But if either will do this it will cut down on the gear I need to pack. Also does one cast better than the other? 

Also like to hear thoughts on any who have a favorite between BX 400 & Release sg.  THANKS, Jeff

day0ne

The Accurate for sure will produce 20+ lbs of drag with no side load. Accurate doesn't state drag figures but admits to 30 lbs on most of their reels. The 400 is a nice size, as is the 400N
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rivverrat

dayOne, thank you...liked to hear more from some of you that fish either or both of these reels. Or just some thoughts on based on the internals of both reels.

day0ne

The BX is stronger than the 270 (same size) and I've caught 160+ lb sharks on my 270. One of my favorite reels.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rivverrat

How well they cast?

That's a great catch on that size reel!

Prof. Salt

I've caught sharks over 150 lbs and seven feet long on a Release SX, along with jacks and kings that ran long and hard. So far the reel has exceeded my expectations and has been true to company claims for drag capability. I fought a six foot stingray the other day and the only problems were the ones I dreated. The Release SG was flawless. All my fishing is done offshore from a kayak, so corrosion resistance is huge. So far the seals and tolerances have me impressed!