Spool corrosion...to worry or not to worry...that is the question...

Started by coastal_dan, June 04, 2015, 03:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Ok, recently tried to sell a Anniv. spool that had light corrosion on the alum. spool (see below pictures) but no takers.  So I have decided to create an Ugly Duckling 6/0 and put together a mismatched tank so I know it's mine :)

Otherwise she looks pretty darn perfect!

My question is....when has the corrosion gone too far on the spool?  My concern is the effect its having on the line, and if the corrosion will just eat away at the spool without my knowledge.  I would probably do new line every other year and maybe use this thing 4-8 times per year.  My plan is to run either 50 lb or 60 lb mono, add a factory alum. frame, an AT SS sleeve, update the drag, and do an AT arm/handle combo.

All input is ALWAYS appreciated...good or bad  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

i get many of my rebuids from pawn shops and yard sales, so many have been neglected and show a little corrosion as you have.

I'd brush out what corrosion I could, flush it well with DI water (no chlorine, bromine or other salts in it), cover the spot with clear nail polish topcoat, epoxy or rod finish to protect against further intrusion on unprotected aluminum and fish the crap out of it. I havent seen any issues with line degradation; UV exposure or brushing on that rock ledge down below is more likely to bother it than the spool contact. If you change line as you say, you can keep an eye on  but i doubt it would worsen.  I've got some done some years ago like this and they are standing pat.

just my 02.

John

Marcq

Quote from: thorhammer on June 04, 2015, 05:24:32 PM

i get many of my rebuids from pawn shops and yard sales, so many have been neglected and show a little corrosion as you have.

I'd brush out what corrosion I could, flush it well with DI water (no chlorine, bromine or other salts in it), cover the spot with clear nail polish topcoat, epoxy or rod finish to protect against further intrusion on unprotected aluminum and fish the crap out of it. I havent seen any issues with line degradation; UV exposure or brushing on that rock ledge down below is more likely to bother it than the spool contact. If you change line as you say, you can keep an eye on  but i doubt it would worsen.  I've got some done some years ago like this and they are standing pat.

just my 02.

John

X2
Marc..

thorhammer

now that you brought it up, i recall have a jigmaster anniversary spool with worse corrosion but still structurally sound the last time i looked at it and i've had it for years in a box with no line and no topcoat. it was no worse and i lived at the beach with salt air much of that time. matter of fact it's gonna get tom's frame and plates kit when that happens.

Tightlines667

A little wax on the spool before spooling it up wouldn't hurt either.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Thanks guys  ;D  I'll have to steal some of my wife's clear nail polish...shh...don't tell.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

Wife learned long ago to buy two bottles at a time.  Seems she mysteriously had run out coincidentally when tied a batch of buck tails.

coastal_dan

Holy cow this worked so well!  Thanks Thorhammer!  Cleaned with distilled water, picked scraped away what little I could and 3-4 coats of clear nail polish....BAM...spool ready to go.  No more hard/sharp areas.  Much thanks!
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

coastal_dan

In a similar 'repair' trend....I had a small knick in a Tiburon frame...clear Nail Polish and it's now protected!

What are your thoughts on the nail polish breaking down/wearing away?  Will UV eventually break it down, then just re-apply?  This stuff is almost like duct tape.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

well, you might chip it. but my uncle used to use it to mend unraveling rod wraps on his Daiwa surf rods in the 80's. I'm pretty sure it's still on  there....in auntie's nice pink color to match the brown blank perfectly :)

i'd just keep an eye on flange and reapply if needed. the stuff on the arbor will still be there forever i would think; from the pic it looks like most of the wear will be under line anyway. i look at it this way....if i catch enough fish to wear out the aluminum spool, it sure didnt owe me anything....and in current state theyll be in my garage 1000 years from now unfortunately lol 

believe it or not in my dayjob my company actually makes nail polish among other things, probably the one you're using. one of my jobs is technical efficacy of the products. I also can tell you a chrome nail polish cap over a skirt with a ballyhoo will catch pelagics for $2 instead of $20 for an Islander!

John

steelfish

guys, tell me if Im doing it wrong.

this is the trick I learned few years back and Im still doing it todya, I was told to use lemon juice and baking soda on aluminiun corrosion, like spools and new breed of reels.

first clean the corroded part that can be light or deep with a old tooth brush and soap, then you will feel it more harsh, then fry it with a clean cotton rag, add some drops of lemon juice, then a bit of baking soda and later add more lemon juice as generous as you can, the mix will bubble for some moments and those bubbles will get to the spots of the corrosion the tooth brush dont reach, let the mix settle for some minutes 5-10 is ok.
at the end wash everything up with destiled water or alcohol, clean it with a clean rag and do the good old trick of the nail polish, 3-4 layers is more than perfect.

when doing the grocery shopping with my wife I something get to the lady section of cosmetics and grab some nail polish when they are at $1.00, the older I am the shamless I am turning too.

The Baja Guy

foakes

Yes --

This method will quickly stop or drastically slow down the corrosion process -- so it will not matter in any of our lifetimes.

But I don't "fry it" -- I dry it with compressed air.

Gotta love spell checker or word complete...

Sometimes after cleaning, and before spooling it up -- I just wrap a couple of winds of racquetball or tennis racket grip around the spool arbor.  Isolates the line from the arbor -- and give a good, non-slip, easily changed out grip.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on July 08, 2015, 06:33:22 PM
But I don't "fry it" -- I dry it with compressed air.

Gotta love spell checker or word complete...

I hate you iphone, I really hate you..

I was actually using an Android phone, but hate iphone anyway, never lose a chance to say it.
The Baja Guy