Displays, Cabinets, Plinths & Such

Started by Tightlines667, July 08, 2015, 07:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

WOW Great collection and the display  chest is the best I've ever seen  Doug

broadway

Wasn't sure if anyone would catch that so fast... should've known it would be you, D.
Thanks pal, it's gonna be a wild ride ;)
Dom
Thanks Doug!

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on July 10, 2015, 01:10:34 AM
Wasn't sure if anyone would catch that so fast... should've known it would be you, D.
Thanks pal, it's gonna be a wild ride ;)
Dom
Thanks Doug!
Congratulations Dom, a lot of things happening in your life lately. I'm happy for you pal ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Islandgypsy

Simply awesome,Dom..show your artisan friend the AT " where in the world are you ". All those red dots represent someone with drool coming out of the corner of their mouth ;D

Superhook

So many great displays here.

Sal's one off cabinet . Lots of thought and beautifully made . Double-decker wood and glass cabinet with the green , white & red rod and reel ...had to sneak that in.

Neat Plinths by Daron .

Top antique display cabinet with antique reels by Ted.

John & Dan have their growing collections displayed well .

Dom, What can i say . You win the prize for the biggest Lair..... Otto Henze would have loved to sit at a desk with that inlay. 8)

Someone said i have Penn Fever . I think it has been spreading for quite a while.

broadway

Thanks Sal, it's been nuts but I look forward to our future together and raising a fine fisherman/ fisherwoman. :o
Well said, Gypsy!
I don't wanna hijack the thread as I would like to see some other displays. I like the way Sal hung his spinners and the fact that he made it with his own two hands.
I'm a fan of Daron, Dan, and Mike's different style plinths, I like how Dan incorporated  his collection into his house tastefully, and of course Ted's Pot O' Gold... It looks like it a medical cabinet of sorts and it's well stocked with treasure and clearly visible.
Let's see 'em,
Dom

Robert Janssen

Quote from: broadway on July 09, 2015, 10:39:04 PM
   As for the two reels in the center (good eye)... They are 2- 6/0 reels with an air valve used to crank up from the depths invented by Ralph Sanders (Nov.2nd 1965 patent).  These were the predecessor to the electric reels used today and believe these to be his 2 prototypes as I don't believe they were ever manufactured, but not positive of that fact. I can't find anything other than the patent info on these but they look wicked cool, are heavy as can be, and have a special spot in the display (mounted to my wall).  

What, YOU have two of these too?  A few years ago I helped a guy named Bob find out about two that he had come across. Did you buy them from him?

Tightlines667

Quote from: Robert Janssen on July 10, 2015, 07:56:38 AM
Quote from: broadway on July 09, 2015, 10:39:04 PM
   As for the two reels in the center (good eye)... They are 2- 6/0 reels with an air valve used to crank up from the depths invented by Ralph Sanders (Nov.2nd 1965 patent).  These were the predecessor to the electric reels used today and believe these to be his 2 prototypes as I don't believe they were ever manufactured, but not positive of that fact. I can't find anything other than the patent info on these but they look wicked cool, are heavy as can be, and have a special spot in the display (mounted to my wall).  

What, YOU have two of these too?  A few years ago I helped a guy named Bob find out about two that he had come across. Did you buy them from him?

Wow!
Scarce, and historically significant.  It would be interesting to see a schematic or design diagram on these guys.  Sounds like a relatively simple system.  I wonder if a similar device could be made to connect a large conventional to an onboard hydo system?  Seems like their would be a market for something like this.  Especially if it was configured in such a way as to have a functionimg drag. 

I guess an aircompressor is alot more cost effective then a hydro system..though these are now better, smaller, and cheaper then they were a few years ago.  The only reslly big fish I was able to land sucessfully on hydro gear were on reels with adjustable/workimg drags.  Str8 or direct drive reels will break the gear on larger fish or sharks.  Don't mean to threadjack.

Cool reels Dom.  I have the distinct feeling that you have a few other 'special' items in that collection.  Once again, thanks for sharing. 

Now back on topic...
If anyone else has photos relating to the thread...please share.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 10, 2015, 08:27:57 AM

Wow! It would be interesting to see a schematic or design diagram on these guys.  Sounds like a relatively simple system.  I wonder if a similar device could be made to connect a large conventional to an onboard hydo system?  Seems like their would be a market for something like this.  Especially if it was configured in such a way as to have a functionimg drag. 

Yes, sortof... it was a vane / impeller thing with a compound gear train, stepped down about a gazillion : 1 ratio. Hydro not impossible, since hydro vs pneumatic = same thing almost, with a different media. Drag would be controlled with a bypass / overload valve. Market? Well, it seems Sanders himself tried it already. Maybe, maybe not. Sanders was a very busy guy though.

We now return to the regularly scheduled thread...

coastal_dan

Congrats Dom! - Kids are the spice of life, they surely shake things up a bit, but wouldn't change it for the entire world and all the Penn reels in it  ;D.  We also have another one on the way, Dec. 29th...do you guys have a due date yet?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

Congratulations Dominick.

Married with Children, you are now officially a "Grown Up".

All the Best,

Mike C.

broadway

Robert,  it's funny you knew about these two reels because you were the person I was going to ask if you'd be willing to take them apart and clean them up and maybe even make them functional (if they're not already.) it's definitely beyond my scope of skills, and would hate to get it apart and not be able to get it back together. I got them off ebay a few years ago.  Did you find any info out about them? If so, I would be interested in learning more about them.  Thank Bob if you speak with him, and let him know they're safe and sound. ;)

Thanks Dan, congrats to you as well. It's looking like February 17th which is perfect because I wouldn't wanna take a newborn out fishing too early ;D

Mike, you just depressed me... I feel like a kid, and if you ask my wife... I act like one too. ::)

Aiala

Quote from: broadway on July 10, 2015, 05:04:51 PM
I feel like a kid, and if you ask my wife... I act like one too. ::)

Not for much longer, Daddy! Enjoy it while you can... next summer it's diapers and formula instead of bluefish and fluke, LOL 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Maxed Out

Well congrats to Dom and Dan. I am up for adoption, so I guess this means I need to look elsewhere. lol

I thought this was a website about how to service and repair reels ??? I would credit this collector craze/disease to Mike and Ray and their combined knowledge of reels from days gone by....and of course the "Penn Bible" (Chronological history of Penn Reels) that puts their knowledge in print for great references that were previously impossible to procure.

Thanks for posting this up John, cause now every time my wife mentions my growing collection, I just click on this thread and show her pics that makes my collection pale in comparison. I owe you one John.

Dom, that is over the top phenominal display and must be a thousand times more impressive in person. Only thing I would change/add, is a drool station  :D........... Thanks for sharing

Sal, Dan, what is Ikea ??  ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Prefab furniture & cabinets.