Displays, Cabinets, Plinths & Such

Started by Tightlines667, July 08, 2015, 07:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Mike

I see in Picture #68 you have 2 Side Winders on the wall. 1 looks like Aluminum & the other looks like Red Baker Lite or Delrin. In December I bought a New 5 1/4" Delrin & Brass Side Winder. There are New ones being made & only 1 place sells them. No Shipping

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI see in Picture #68 you have 2 Side Winders on the wall. 1 looks like Aluminum & the other looks like Red Baker Lite or Delrin. In December I bought a New 5 1/4" Delrin & Brass Side Winder. There are New ones being made & only 1 place sells them. No Shipping

Mike,

Those two side winders are true antiques, probably both date back to the turn of the 19th to 20th century.

The reel on the left is made by Cozzone. it is ball bearing model made out of Mahogany wood. The reel on the right is a Hell Gate, also a ball bearing model.

The Cozzone is not rare; but, they are very hard to find with the sticker intact. It is about 100 years old. I have had many; but, this one really nice so I kept it.

The Hell Gate is a difficult find. I have seen less than a half dozen of them in my life.

I did not realize that anyone was still making these reels. The Australian Alveys are similar but mount differently to the rod.

I have a soft spot for Side Winders. When I was a kid fishing the Sheepshead Bay Party boats, the mates would use these reels and really out fish everyone on the boat with them. It is amazing what an effective fishing reel they really are in the right hands.

Maxed Out

Why tour the Penn plant, when you could tour Mikes Museum.... I'm with Sal, I'd rather tour Mikes place. :o ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

I'll be in South Jersey for my nephew's wedding the weekend of May 21-22, probably a day on either side, would love to meet up with you guys and share some camaraderie and tour either the Penn plant or Mike's museum. And vino, don't forget the vino ;D  Joe, you in?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteI see in Picture #68 you have 2 Side Winders on the wall. 1 looks like Aluminum & the other looks like Red Baker Lite or Delrin. In December I bought a New 5 1/4" Delrin & Brass Side Winder. There are New ones being made & only 1 place sells them. No Shipping

Bluefish Mike,

I checked out the forum on the site you sent me. Very interesting sidewinders. They only touched on the antiques. It seems they have more modern sidewinders made from Delrin and some from around the war made of Bakelite. Seems that some are even made of Lexan. I guess you can make these reels from many different materials.

Mine are retired antiques from days gone by. I cannot document the Hell Gate yet. I did find some history about the Cozzone model I have (Thanks to Phil White). It was made in the 1920's.

Reel 224

Quote from: sdlehr on January 15, 2016, 06:32:03 AM
I'll be in South Jersey for my nephew's wedding the weekend of May 21-22, probably a day on either side, would love to meet up with you guys and share some camaraderie and tour either the Penn plant or Mike's museum. And vino, don't forget the vino ;D  Joe, you in?

Sid

Sid: I have to check when the reunion is for Wheelus air base is, it seams like that is just around that time. But if not I'm in.

Joe

P.S. The Reunion is May 13-14-15th of May So I'm in, just tell me where.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

bluefish69

Thanks for posting that on the Side Winders. When you see the Professa on here he knows a lot more about these reels
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for posting that on the Side Winders. When you see the Professa on here he knows a lot more about these reels

Always fun to talk about.

Maxed Out

What to do with empty drawer in the china hutch ?......fill it with fine china  ;D ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

I just picked up a new display cabinet...

and a few more shelves for the new and old one (which I have yet to install)...

Now to find a few more treasures to display :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TomT

At 75 yrs old I do NOT have an empty drawer in any of the wife's China cabinets!!---but if I did, I would love to find it full of your surprises!!  At about 60 yrs old, I had very few reels, but they were all reels that I used. I got involved in AT com and I started buying some used Penns online just because I could and they were affordable then.  I then bought and serviced many other reels---mostly Penns.  I gave most of these reels to my son and daughter to display or use.  A few years ago SharkHunter had bought too many reels and a guy got on here with a reel--deal.  He had a 12/0 Penn with a red knob and he had it what I thought was a decent price--SH passed on the reel, but I didn't.  It showed up and it was like new on the outside except there is one exterior screw missing.  I displayed it for a while but now it sits in a box not even seeing the light of day.  I need to get is sitting on a mantle again so it can have a few more days of glory.  Since I purchased this reel, I am glad to see there are MANY people wanting these larger reels to actually USE them for fishing..   One last little note from an old man--It seems to me that the more members we have to AT. com we have lots higher prices on Ebay!!   ::) ;)
TomT

Penn Chronology

QuoteI just picked up a new display cabinet...

Nice display John, seems like your collection is growing fast.

QuoteOne last little note from an old man--It seems to me that the more members we have to AT. com we have lots higher prices on Ebay!!
Supply and demand create value. It seems the demand for antique Penn reels is growing, while the supply is what it is and always will be. As long as the demand continues to grow, the prices will go up. That makes me happy because it gives the hobby more dimension. Not only are we satisfying a historical curiosity by collecting, we are making future investments. It is a win / win.

Shark Hunter

I actually don't know how many 12/0's I have right now.
Its like gun collecting. If you know how many you have, you don't have enough.
I definitely need some cabinets and have been looking.
Life is Good!