Tilefish Reel

Started by MJMJ, July 14, 2015, 09:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJMJ

Which reel will be suitable for tilefishing. I was looking to spend around $300-350

handi2

Where I live the Tanacom Bull is what we use. We usually catch them at 500 to 800 feet. Too deep for a manual reel..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: MJMJ on July 14, 2015, 09:44:31 PM
Which reel will be suitable for tilefishing. I was looking to spend around $300-350

I do not know if this used but near mint Electramate 415HS mounted on a made in the USA Penn 345 GTI is powerful enough for tilefish, but if so, I could sell it for $275 plus shipping at the actual cost by your choice of USPS, UPS or FedEx.  I believe that this is a very good deal because the Electramate motor unit alone is $409, as you can see at http://elec-tra-mate.com/store/store.php?crn=223&rn=437&action=show_detail.  It is full of good-looking Spectra too.  If this set-up at this price works for you, I would be happy to take some good close up photos and email them to you if you send me your address.

Thanks,

Randy

bigmahi12

For part boat fishing here on the East coast the car battery inside a backpack is popular bc it lets you move around.

otownjoe

I would recommend a 2 speed for deep dropping.the Baja special would work but gets difficult when using heavier weight. Based on your price range a accurate fury 600 or okuma  metaloid 12ll  would work.        At $549 the diawa tanacom is the way to go but handcranking is not as bad as you would think.the biggest disadvantage to hand cranking is the amount of time it takes to crank back up.if you are fishing upcurrent of people using electric reels the slower ascent of the hand crank tends to get tangled in the fast retrieval of the electric reel.   I've fished 1000 ft with a accurate bd2 500 and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  Having a rod holder when you are hand cranking is a big help. Joe