Pflueger Oceanic 2178 problems

Started by sdlehr, September 13, 2015, 05:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

This is my first message asking for help on this forum. I'm really enjoying learning reel maintenance and engineering, or reverse-engineering as the case may be.

I've just started to recondition some of my Dad's old Penn and Pflueger casting reels that have been high and dry in my garage for a few decades and have run into a problem with the Pflueger Oceanic 2178 (haven't tackled the 1419-3/4 Templar yet). The Penn reels are giving me no problems. I can't find schematics for the Pflueger reels, hence the comment re: reverse engineering.

The right side bearing/bushing cover (I don't think these are either bearings or bushings), when tightened all the way down, hinders the rotation of the spool. I'm wondering if the spool is the right one or not, if the right-side spindle may be a bit too long. The left side has neither a bushing nor bearing, but a series of copper/stainless discs that remain stationary while surrounding another disc that engages the squared end of the spindle and rotates with it. The rotating pieces are a sandwich of two thin stainless discs on either side of another 'disc' which rotates with the spindle, surrounded by the two copper plates. The copper plates remain stationary while the stainless discs engage the spindle and rotate with the spindle between the copper plates. I don't know what to call this. I'll see if I can attach a photo, which will hopefully be worth a thousand words. I need some help understanding how this works, and what is wrong; I can hear a slight scraping noise when I put the spool in free spool, and free spool time is 10 seconds at best. I'll try to attach a photo and maybe someone can chime in with some info. I've lined up the assembly as one would a drag stack for the photo I am hopefully attaching.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

So I haven't found schematics for this reel, but a parts list is on the way, so maybe I can find replacement parts for this reel - but I'll need to know what to call these things - stay tuned, I'll be back when the parts lists arrive via snail mail... Sid
Sid Lehr

mizmo67

I tried to find actual schematics for you, but no luck.

Unfortunately not familiar enough with the Pfluegers to assist on this one.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

sdlehr

Thanks so much, Mizmo. I was hoping I'd get some kind of response. I think I'll try to machine the right side spindle down a little shorter and see if that helps. The spool is now bare aluminum on this one - all the plating has corroded off. But I still think it's a project worth playing with.  I rebuilt my Pflueger 1419 3/4 Templar this evening - it's humming along just fine now - Used Reel-X on the bushings and the channel down the middle of the pinion gear. That stuff is amazing.
Sid Lehr