Leather drag washes

Started by sdlehr, September 22, 2015, 02:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Scored a Pflueger 1978 on eBay for $25 including shipping. I've stripped it down and it appears to have leather drag washers. I have a Penn HT-100 drag washer that is the perfect size to replace one of the damaged leather ones; the others are in pretty good shape and have a coat of Cal's lube on them. Will it work well with three leather drag washers (that aren't in bad shape) and one Penn HT-100, or should all of the drag washers be of the same material (if I can find it)? I've seen a post about how to decrease the external diameter of an HT-100 washer to make it fit, but I don't want to make extra work if someone can comment on their experience (or make a suggestion, like "mixing drag washer types swill not affect drag function). One of the leather washers it tabbed, and that might be the one hardest to replace.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Personally, I would go with all carbon fiber.
If you have the correct thickness of sheet. The tabs can be shaped with a dremel.
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

Sid, you could always put it together and do a couple of tests.

I actually did that exact thing in a Levelmatic and it worked fine.  I can't say how long it'll hold up. It may turn out that the CF bites into the leather, but so far so good.

I'm sure I'll go to all CF at some point but I didn't want to wait at the time.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handi2

I bet the HT-100 washers you are using are the 6-60 drag washers. If they are too thin you can use the 6-113 drag washers. They are just s little thicker.

Cool reels..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL