McGyver strikes again....

Started by Steve-O, August 14, 2015, 03:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

So what do you get with 5 bullets one rock and some wire?

Steve-O

Add Dremel and an idea plus 10 minutes with the rock.

Steve-O

Twist some eyes in ends of the wire, lay bullets on top add 800 degrees F. Let cool. Voila!

Steve-O

Tidied it up a bit. Added a Siwash and assist hooks with simple Sharpie colors and a clear coat. Note to self allow markers to dry well before clear coat application. Next time. The fish won't care if Rembrandt or Van Steveo painted It.

Just wanted to see if I could craft one in an hour.

David Hall

Very nice but bullets are expensive.

Dominick

I knew exactly what you were doing the whole time.  ::) ::) Good McGyvering Steve. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Quote from: David Hall on August 14, 2015, 03:57:15 AM

Yea, especially when they're Sharps rifle bullets. Only lead I had handy at the moment. Not sure I'll be getting into the jig casting thing anytime soon. Just wanted to see if I could and will jig it in the Pacific next month.

Rockfish mostly don't care what you throw down to them ...in fact one of my other jigs is a rubber chicken keychain fob skewered on an 8/0 hook. We'll see how that catches next month, too.

Steve-O

BTW- the rock is Utah orange Alabaster; very soft and 2 minutes of Makita angle grinder gave me the basic shape then files, a gouge and dremel work to tweak it.

Finished weight is exactly 100 grams. And I cleaned up the smear boo boo with fresh stripes.

Reel 224

Quote from: Steve-O on August 14, 2015, 04:11:56 AM
Quote from: David Hall on August 14, 2015, 03:57:15 AM

Yea, especially when they're Sharps rifle bullets. Only lead I had handy at the moment. Not sure I'll be getting into the jig casting thing anytime soon. Just wanted to see if I could and will jig it in the Pacific next month.

Rockfish mostly don't care what you throw down to them ...in fact one of my other jigs is a rubber chicken keychain fob skewered on an 8/0 hook. We'll see how that catches next month, too.

To bad we weren't closer to each other Steve-O, I have 200Lbs of lead for molding. I used to cast my own bullets when I was competing many moons ago. That is a great Idea, very McGyver.  ;)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Nice creativity. A while back someone posted some jigs made with Walmart SS knife handles I think.

Steve-O

It wasn't me but I also made a half dozen of those with thrift store knives. My neighbor's drill press made short work of the holes which were the biggest pain with tempered stainless. Hard to find table knives that weigh more than 4 oz. Most table ware is light for a reason. But they lack the shape needed for fluttering/wobbling like a fish. Mine are more a labor of interest than anything.

Steve-O

[/quote]

To bad we weren't closer to each other Steve-O, I have 200Lbs of lead for molding. I used to cast my own bullets when I was competing many moons ago. That is a great Idea, very McGyver.  ;)

Joe
[/quote]

Joe, if we lived closer to each other ....we would be SHOOTING AND FISHING together this weekend! :D

I enjoy shooting smokepoles for pleasure and besides a Sharps rifle I have a John Browning Mountain Rifle - .50 cal...which is scary accurate and way more fun to shoot than my Lewis Machine and Tool AR-15.

Reel 224

Steve-O: That sounds like some fun, again it's a shame we are separated by so many miles.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

crackerman

Reel224, pack some up in ups flat rate box and send it my way. I need some for spider weights.

Reel 224

Quote from: crackerman on August 14, 2015, 05:48:54 PM
Reel224, pack some up in ups flat rate box and send it my way. I need some for spider weights.

How much and where is it going? PM me an address.