Accurate and Tiburon Frames

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, July 19, 2015, 10:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 16, 2018, 05:33:40 PM
Quote from: Decker on January 16, 2018, 04:49:21 PM
Could someone give me the weight of the Tiburon P16 frame for the Penn Squidder 146 (preferably without the clamp)?  Thanks.
We're not talking pounds anymore, now we're talking ounces, as we're in a casting tournament ::). It won't really matter on Fluke Joe ;D.
The P16 without the clamp is 2.8 oz. the newer style might be just a tad less.I was thinking about MO's comment on plastic spools, the Newell aluminum spool might be the same...if not lighter.
I know that the newell spools are lighter than Penn's.

Thanks for the info, Sal.   I'm pretty sure the Penn plastic spools are lighter than the Newell ones.  There is the drawback that you can't mag plastic. ;D  But the lighter the spool, the less inertia... faster acceleration and less force needed for deceleration... better casting with less bird's nest.  Not because my wrist is weak. 8)

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 16, 2018, 05:33:40 PM
When the Tuna trip will happen on the East Coast, with  only vintage reels allowed, I hope you guys that are worried about holding a pound or two could handle a 10 - 15 pounds reel ;D

Sal

I like the way you said that: "WHEN the tuna trip WILL happen..."   :D :o  ;)   When they are smashing 25 yds off the port, we'll see who can get the bait to them 8)

Decker

Wow, this just gets better all the time! No plastic spools on Sal's boat! ;)

mo65

He's the spool nazi..."No plastic for you!" :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on January 16, 2018, 08:48:13 PM
Wow, this just gets better all the time! No plastic spools on Sal's boat! ;)
On a serious note Joe, did you ever get to try the Penn Mag? I'm not great casting conventional, the 970 made me look like a pro.

Sal

Quote from: mo65 on January 16, 2018, 09:15:51 PM
   He's the spool nazi..."No plastic for you!" :D

:D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Sal, I like surf casting the Penn Mag 970.   I also like them for dropping into deep water... the spool stays under control.  They're tough as nails. I want to try a 990 for offshore fishing sometime.    

For distance casting I actually prefer my Daiwa Slosh 30.  It's lighter, and the lightness helps in accelerating the rod. It's not magged but has centrifugal brakesand a light spool that is easy to thumb.

When I was a kid, I used to cast Penn conventionals with the brass spool and the bait clicker on..  hehehe