PENN 9 quick Tutorial

Started by RTT, July 20, 2015, 08:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTT

Ok here it is again.  I think I now mastered Photobucket

Here it is a PENN 9.  This little workhorse belongs to Pop, and it needed a little help as the drag became very jerky.  Below are is picture intensive, besides the drag washer, it will also get cleaned and greased.
(this is my first post using Photobucket so I hope this goes well)
Ray

I find this works great on the chrome

Here is the old leather washers and the new one

Getting it to the greasy standard

Getting it all back together can be tricky.  I did not have a rubber band so i used the grease bucket to hold it.  It took a couple of tries, the success. :)

Tightlines667

Nice work!  Thank you for taking the time to take, and post some pictures of the process.  I am sure it will provide some guidance and inspiration.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

reelrepair123

nice project.  what i do is i put the 3 frame post screws in loose, slide in the worm sheild, then tighten the 3 screws,  add reel stand screws.  (don't tighten the slotted post screws reel tight because you will have to rotate it so get the line guide into place)   i then slide the worm gear and line guide thru the large hole, fit it into the drive gear . (keeping the line guide favoring the one side , it allows the worm to be installed). just my way of doing a #9.  i use a short piece of hose slid over the post to hold the gear and drag washers in place when you turn it upside down to install , then pull it out when secured.    hope this helps a little.     harryk

handi2

Same here on all of the Penn levelwind reels like that and the 109 thru 309.

Fully assemble the reel with the guard in place. The worm gear, line guide, will all go in last.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

That's an old classic looking like a few more decades in her!  ;)

Doug

Very nice job I love seeing these older penns cleaned up and back in service/ I use a surfmaster 100 and 150 all the time great little bottom fishing all around reels   Doug

sundancer

Great job.  I always curse the Guard. 

Have a couple and love 'em.

Steve
Miles to go.....,